What's new

RT-AX86U Instant Guard connection causes router to reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wm1716

New Around Here
Just bought a new RT-AX86U and trying out Instant Guard. I have an Android client with Instant Guard and it connects fine but if I stream something on the client (like music) the router reboots. Same thing happens if I do a speed test from the client (sometimes I have to run the speed test a few times to trigger it, sometimes it happens first try).

When it happens, download speeds start out with an appropriate 200+ Mbps but it slides down to 50 Mbps then the connection drops. If I leave Instant Guard enabled on the client and let it reconnect once the router reboots, the speed test is super slow like < 5 Mbps and it will trigger another router reboot. If I disconnect/reconnect the client, speed goes back to 200+ but the problem will easily repro again.

I've tried it with v3.0.0.4.386.49599 and v9.0.0.4.388.20477. OpenVPN and Wire Guard (beta) seem fine. AiProtection is disabled. Have a mesh with an RT-AC1900P and maybe 15 total clients connected. Nothing connected to the USB ports.

Anyone else able to reproduce this? I didn't see anything when I searched for something like it. It doesn't "feel" like a hardware problem.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!