What's new

RT-AX86U on 386.5_2 DNSLeak with OVPN and NordVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CRussel

New Around Here
I've worked through all the supposed fixes with 2nd tier NordVPN support (Marina), and I'm still getting a DNS leak on my AX86U router with either 386.5_2 or 386.7_beta2 firmware. When I connect to Seattle (from Canada), the dns ends up resolving to Singapore. This, obviously, causes Amazon video to fail. :( The connection is clearly up to Seattle, the DNS servers are correctly configured to theirs (103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100), DNS Configuration is set to Strict on the OVPN Client. And traffic is set to route all through the tunnel. Frankly, I've run out of ideas.

I've worked through all the supposed fixes with 2nd tier NordVPN support (Marina), and I'm still getting a DNS leak on my AX86U router with either 386.5_2 or 386.7_beta2 firmware. When I connect to Seattle (from Canada), the dns ends up resolving to Singapore. This, obviously, causes Amazon video to fail. :( The connection is clearly up to Seattle, the DNS servers are correctly configured to theirs (103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100), DNS Configuration is set to Strict on the OVPN Client. And traffic is set to route all through the tunnel. Frankly, I've run out of ideas.

Are there any DNS-specific lines in your OVPN config file?

Yes, we did try exclusive, but it didn’t help.
Exclusive forces DNS traffic to use the servers provided by the VPN through firewall rules. If it somehow gets bypassed, then either you have an IPv6 connection (which will entirely bypass the whole VPN), or your browser is using DoT/DoH, bypassing regular queries.

I found that when I updated to 386.5_2,

WAN DNS Setting >
Connect to DNS server automatically

somehow reverted to to “YES” (even though all my custom settings still showed … normally I think when it’s set to ”yes,” those custom options go into hiding) …

I had to set it back to “NO.”

then it was all good again.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!