What's new

RT-AX86U Pricing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokindog

I'm considering a RT-AX86U purchase. I don't "need to" but I want to add another AP to my network. Rather than buy something like another AC68U for an AP I'm thinking I'll repurpose the RT-AC3100 which is currently my main router and replace it with the RT-AX86U.

It appears the RT-AX86U is pretty much ubiquitously priced everywhere for $249.99.

I realize it's pretty new on the market but what's the cheapest price from a reputable source that people have seen ? I'm trying to gauge the value of waiting for something like a Black Friday sale.

Also, can anyone shed light on the wireless range/coverage as it would compare to my current AC3100?

In my experience, the RT-AC3100 had the greatest range of any router I've had/used.

I don't see a compelling reason for you to buy a new router. Adding an AP may even be detrimental if all works well now.

Of course, I would wait for all sales coming up in the next few weeks/months. Particularly when you're not in any hurry.

In your position, the 'I want to' category, I would rather wait for a WiFi 6E router instead. :)

In my experience, the RT-AC3100 had the greatest range of any router I've had/used.

I don't see a compelling reason for you to buy a new router. Adding an AP may even be detrimental if all works well now.

Of course, I would wait for all sales coming up in the next few weeks/months. Particularly when you're not in any hurry.

In your position, the 'I want to' category, I would rather wait for a WiFi 6E router instead. :)
Ya, that's been pinging around in my head. The extra AP is to provide more coverage to an area I am now using more than before so it is growth. However I am also going through new toy withdrawal :) Also waiting for the Mavic 2 Pro to go on sale :) :)

I wouldn't expect any major deal on the RT-AX86U during Black Friday since it's such a new model. It might however drive the price down on other models. A few years ago the RT-AC86U for instance received a significant discount on Black Friday.

Keep in mind however that there are currently shortages on a lot of electronic products due to the human malware (among other things), so make sure you don't find yourself stuck in a position where none of the products that interest you would be in stock.