What's new

RT-AX86U Pro .... better range and stability than RT-AC86U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Livin, to get the most benefit from your new AX class router, it needs to be the main router. Furthermore, mixing AX class routers with AC class routers is never a good idea. Not if you want the most stable, reliable, and performant network possible.

I would suggest you employ the new router in the most central point of the areas you need coverage for. Without having the old routers even turned on (yes, they will drag down the performance of the new one).

If you have any wired capable devices at distant points in your environment, consider using the old routers in Media Bridge mode instead. This will not only make those devices quicker, but will also improve the overall network performance too.
I'm up for replacing if two AXs will perform better (range and stability on AC & N devices) than three AC68U (one per floor)?
My AX68U ($100) shows up tomorrow and I have a GT-AX6000 showing up in 2 days . (refurb RT-AX82U was $129, GT-AX6000 $200... is it really worth the extra?)

I dont have a true central place (middle of the main floor) -- that is the stairs. I can put it under the stairs in the basement or 3/4 to one side on the main floor

Diagrams show main level... large red area is on the main floor... the small red area is under the stairs, in the basement. I have wires in both places. I have a router in the large area currently, and on the top floor above the stairs (mostly center of the house)

Attachments

• MainLevel_Router.JPG
    MainLevel_Router.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
refurb RT-AX82U was $129, GT-AX6000 $200... is it really worth the extra?
RT-AX82U=RT-AX58U=RT-AX3000=TUF-AX5400 etc.
Better check the RT-AX86S price if the GT-AX6000 is too expensive.
RT-AX86S is a new, improved version of RT-AC86U.

RT-AX82U=RT-AX58U=RT-AX3000=TUF-AX5400 etc.
Better check the RT-AX86S price if the GT-AX6000 is too expensive.
RT-AX86S is a new, improved version of RT-AC86U.
For me the AX86U was $20 more than GT-AX6000.
Hoping together the GT-AX6000 ($200) & RT-AX68U ($100) will cover better and out perform 3x RT-AC86U

RT-AX86S (not U) should be cheaper (approx. 130-150 USD).
cool, thx. I'm going to be all-in at $300 (inc tax) for both GT-AX6000 ($200) & RT-AX68U ($100) so if that works I'll be happy. The setup I have now (3x AC86U) is pretty good so we'll see if the AX units are better.

@L&LD where would you place the GT-AX6000 & RT-AX68U in my house? I've attached blueprints with #s at the locations I have wires to the cable modem (in basement under the stairs)
for instance... AX6000 at #1 in the basement (under stair well - center of the main floor which is above it) + AX68U at #3 on the top floor (above the stairs - center of floor)... would that give good coverage?

Attachments

• RouterPlace_Basement.JPG
    RouterPlace_Basement.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
  • RouterPlace_MidLevel.jpg
    RouterPlace_MidLevel.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 36
  • RouterPlace_Top.jpg
    RouterPlace_Top.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 49
@L&LD update... GT-AX6000 & RT-AX68U up and running and so far, easily covering/replace all 3 of AC86Us. Interested in tweaks you suggest, should I be using AIMesh (AX68U is in AP mode right now)? Thoughts on house location/placement?

thx, this looks like a nice upgrade

If you want the Guest Network (1) to be available throughout the home, use AiMesh. For many, AP mode is only for specialized needs today.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

The above is from the following link (with many more suggestions), but with your setup working well, you may want to leave things as is (if GN isn't a hard requirement today).

I'll be curious to hear if the AX routers do any better. I replaced 2x AC86U with 2x GT-AX6000, and in my range tests, I found no difference between the two routers.

With reference to your security cameras, the bit rate of 1080p camera set to high video quality is not particularly high, even in x264 encoding. For a security camera set to x264 encoding, there's nothing to be gained by using encoding settings that give more than 8 mbps bit rate. 2 mbps in x264 is will likely get you to the optics quality of the camera. And with x265, 1 mbps is sufficient. I found that for x265 encoding, 1 mbps is sufficient for my 8K cameras at 12 fps. Assuming your cameras are still x264, then 10 cameras then gives 80 mbps which is easily handled as long as there is a sufficiently strong connection between the cameras and the routers. If you are having trouble keeping the cameras connected, then its either a range issue, lousy wifi in the camera, or something with your router settings. One thing I tell everyone with connection issues is to disable auto-channel selection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!