What's new

RT-AX86U Pro .... better range and stability than RT-AC86U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

I have 3 AC86U routers with wired backhaul... they work ok but I have 10x 1080p cams (5Ghz) always running and they frequently drop off (and sometimes back on, not always).
Is the AX86U PRO have better range and Wifi stability?

thx!

I know that the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 all have better throughput than the old RT-AC86U. A single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AC86Us in AiMesh, for example.

I haven't used the 'pro' models, nor do I recommend them (the GT-AX6000 is the best choice today, still). But I would assume they also highly surpass the RT-AC86Us.

Last edited:
I know that the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 all have better throughput than the old RT-AC86U. A single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AX86Us in AiMesh, for example.

I haven't used the 'pro' models, nor do I recommend them (the GT-AX6000 is the best choice today, still). But I would assume they also highly surpass the RT-AC86Us.

Right now on Amazon US, the GT-AX6000 is $110.00 more than the RT-AX86U_Pro. o_O

Right now doesn't matter. Almost anyone can wait for a sale. ;)

I know that the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 all have better throughput than the old RT-AC86U. A single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AX86Us in AiMesh, for example.

I can confirm that the RT-AX68U has terrific range and stability and runs cool as a cucumber too! :)

Right now doesn't matter. Almost anyone can wait for a sale. ;)
I was only giving a reference of how the GT-AX6000 has actually increased in price since I purchased one from Amazon a few months back, while the RT-AX86U_Pro has decreased in price. :)

No, I didn't say that. They're listed in order of performance. Of the models, I've tested/used.

As already stated, I haven't used the 'pro' models. And I don't recommend what I don't use.

In any case, they're just as 'crippled' as their non-pro ancestors, with the GT-AX6000 being a much better balanced (hardware) router, not to mention proven, now.

No, I didn't say that. They're listed in order of performance. Of the models, I've tested/used.

As already stated, I haven't used the 'pro' models. And I don't recommend what I don't use.

In any case, they're just as 'crippled' as their non-pro ancestors, with the GT-AX6000 being a much better balanced (hardware) router, not to mention proven, now.
PC term today is “disabled”

but you put AX for both... thus my confusion so I assume you actually meant...

"A single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AC86Us in AiMesh, for example."

then the question becomes... is the AX86U $100 better than the AX68U (I suspect not)

For my house range is an issue - 3 floors (1500, 1000, 800sqft) but a lot of metal beams and duct work causes issues. and most of my devices are 5GHz N (IoT devices) which test to drop on/off, I need to fix that

Last edited:
Is the AX86U PRO have better range and Wifi stability?

@Smokey613 had all RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro and GT-AX6000 plus some more. He can give you an answer first hand. He's on a weekly hardware rotation schedule for few years now. Don't trust his signature. :)

Well, it is really hard to beat an AC86U (or three) as long as you keep them cool and up-to-date. My AC86U was given to a family member and the router still is working very well for them. The WIFI range is excellent and may be better than the AX86U or AX86U Pro, both of which I have and use and have good WIFI as well.

Upgrade if you want to especially if you are concerned about having the latest hardware and firmware. Otherwise enjoy the AC86U's until the poof out.

they work ok but I have 10x 1080p cams (5Ghz)

I would investigate the reason why the cameras drop connection first. Upgrading the routers may not solve the issue if it's on the client side.

but you put AX for both... thus my confusion so I assume you actually meant...

"A single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AC86Us in AiMesh, for example."

then the question becomes... is the AX86U $100 better than the AX68U (I suspect not)

For my house range is an issue - 3 floors (1500, 1000, 800sqft) but a lot of metal beams and duct work causes issues. and most of my devices are 5GHz N (IoT devices) which test to drop on/off, I need to fix that

Thank you, that was a typo which I corrected in my original post above.

But if you had read the link I provided in that post, you wouldn't be confused. 🙂 Please read it.

The RT-AX68U is great for less than ~700 Mbps ISP speeds.

The RT-AX86U is great for up to 1Gbps ISP speeds.

The GT-AX6000 is superior to both, not only for ISP speeds above 1Gbps and up to 2.5Gbps, but also for LAN speeds up to 2.5GbE too.

So to answer your questions, yes, the faster the network you require, the more the higher models are worth. Particularly if you are buying something for 3+ years or more (regardless of your current ISP speeds).

they work ok but I have 10x 1080p cams (5Ghz) always running and they frequently drop off (and sometimes back on, not always).
What firmware are routers running? Are you using AiMesh or some other configuration? Have you done any investigation of why the cams are being dropped? Have you reviewed your 5Ghz WiFi settings? Have you checked the logs to see if they show anything out of the ordinary around the time the cameras drop WiFi? Are you in a congested WiFi neighborhood? How many total WiFi devices are connected to the router(s)?

Could be something as simple as a configuration setting change that may fix the problem; to save you dumping more money into new routers and not have the problem solved.

Thank you, that was a typo which I corrected in my original post above.

But if you had read the link I provided in that post, you wouldn't be confused. 🙂 Please read it.

The RT-AX68U is great for less than ~700 Mbps ISP speeds.

The RT-AX86U is great for up to 1Gbps ISP speeds.

The GT-AX6000 is superior to both, not only for ISP speeds above 1Gbps and up to 2.5Gbps, but also for LAN speeds up to 2.5GbE too.

So to answer your questions, yes, the faster the network you require, the more the higher models are worth. Particularly if you are buying something for 3+ years or more (regardless of your current ISP speeds).
Much appreciated... arriving Friday is an AX68U (only cost me $100). Planning to keep one AC86U as the main router (in the basement), the 2nd AC86U on the top-level (bedrooms), and replace my 3rd AC with the AX on the mid-level (living room / main level) to add AX compatibility for our newer phones and laptop. My internet is 600gbit and I dont plan to go faster - just dont need it. Maybe I'll try AImesh

@bennor and @Tech9 ... yeah, I've spent 20+ hours troubleshooting and testing diff stuff... even different mesh routers 2ish years ago. I dont us AImesh right now (maybe I'll try it with the AX router when i get it) but the cams are just not great for Wifi.. 2.4ghz is unusable (they never stay connected) and 5Ghz some cams are 100% solid, and a few in corners of the house have problems staying connected. Combo of the crappy cam wifi and house design (physical layout + lots of metal!)

Combo of the crappy cam wifi and house design

You may need to approach the problem with a calculator in hand - 10x camera bitrate @1080p @X frames per second is the minimum bandwidth required on 5GHz band for cameras only and your home Wi-Fi devices come on top plus all the active networks around using the same channels. This is how Wi-Fi works - it's a shared medium, a free highway everyone can use with different size vehicles.

Changing the routers without changing the client devices may not result in substantial improvements. Your existing routers already have excellent range. The new AX routers will have the same total bandwidth available to 2-stream AC/N devices and very similar range. Running all your routers on the same channel will make things worse (AiMesh) - all routers will share the available channel bandwidth.

Depending on what the calculations show - I would perhaps look at cameras settings first. Lowering the frame rate may solve the bandwidth problem and allow more active devices living together on your network. If it doesn't help or it's not possible - I would place dedicated access points on different channels exclusively for cameras use. This can be done for significantly less cost compared to replacing all 3x routers and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
The GT-AX6000 I had was a very good performer. I had no complaints. I may have kept it except my wife was not a fan of it’s aesthetics and thus, it went back to Amazon. :)

If aesthetics is not a concern then I would recommend the GT-AX6000.

@Livin, to get the most benefit from your new AX class router, it needs to be the main router. Furthermore, mixing AX class routers with AC class routers is never a good idea. Not if you want the most stable, reliable, and performant network possible.

I would suggest you employ the new router in the most central point of the areas you need coverage for. Without having the old routers even turned on (yes, they will drag down the performance of the new one).

If you have any wired capable devices at distant points in your environment, consider using the old routers in Media Bridge mode instead. This will not only make those devices quicker, but will also improve the overall network performance too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!