What's new

RT-AX86U PRO with OpenVPN has terrible VPN speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hometeam

New Around Here
I'm using OpenVPN with Merlin 388.2 on my Asus RT-AX86U PRO and only getting 20-50 (on a good day) Mbs. I pay for 300 Mbs and I get that consistently if I use the ISP modem directly with no VPN.
When using VPN I connect to servers in North America but am located in Europe.

Before buying this router I had a desktop app installed from Mullvad (VPN provider) and I would get 50-90 Mbs when the VPN was turned on (Europe to North America). If I connect to servers within my own country while using the desktop app I get 120-150 Mbs. This was fine I guess, I accept that using a VPN will reduce speed by half, and even more the further away the servers are. But to be getting 20??? That's a joke, especially since I was getting more with the app.
The CPU cores in the router GUI don't ever seem to get overloaded, so I don't know why my speeds are much worse. The whole point of getting a router was to get better speeds than with the app...

Did I configure something incorrectly or is the problem caused by my VPN provider? Ultimately I would be happy with 100 Mbs using the VPN on North American servers. Is this even possible?
Before trying a different VPN provider is there someplace I can tinker on my end to see if I can get improvements?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!