What's new

RT-AX86U - "Restore factory default" from GUI leads to "Cannot Login Unless Logout Another User First"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zabolots

Occasional Visitor
I run my network on the 192.168.1.x subnet. This does not match the Asus defaults and I have no ability to logout from the GUI when restoring factory defaults because it reboots automatically.

When the router comes back up, it's on the 192.168.50.x subnet so obviously, the IP of any machine is now not going to match what was saved by the router before the factory reset. This leads to the wonderfully helpful "Cannot Login Unless Logout Another User First" message.

Is there any way to avoid this? it's quite annoying when resetting to factory defaults and rebuilding my config. I just have to continually keep rebooting the router until by some sort of magic it lets me in.

I run my network on the 192.168.1.x subnet. This does not match the Asus defaults and I have no ability to logout from the GUI when restoring factory defaults because it reboots automatically.

When the router comes back up, it's on the 192.168.50.x subnet so obviously, the IP of any machine is now not going to match what was saved by the router before the factory reset. This leads to the wonderfully helpful "Cannot Login Unless Logout Another User First" message.

Is there any way to avoid this? it's quite annoying when resetting to factory defaults and rebuilding my config. I just have to continually keep rebooting the router until by some sort of magic it lets me in.
Sure. Run your LAN on 192.168.50.0/24 subnet. Take the time to switch any clients now to DHCP then once the network is back to operation set static IP's on the ones you need to be static. Once and done!

Sure. Run your LAN on 192.168.50.0/24 subnet. Take the time to switch any clients now to DHCP then once the network is back to operation set static IP's on the ones you need to be static. Once and done!
So no way to avoid it without switching over to the default Asus subnet and using static IP's where necessary? If not, that's a bummer.

Why on earth would a "restore factory defaults" not reset the last-logged-in IP address?

So no way to avoid it without switching over to the default Asus subnet and using static IP's where necessary?

You just need to wait a bit or reboot your router manually. My AX86U was flashed, reset and rebooted 50+ times already.

This isn't a problem with the router or the reset command (and I never use the 192.168.1.1 or the 192.168.50.1 defaults on any network I configure either).

The issue is your browser, most likely. You can try with another browser as a test (I use Edge, exclusively).

Either close the browser completely and wait a minute or two before starting it again or, reboot the computer (do not shut down, reboot. These are different routines in any current Windows computer).

This isn't a problem with the router or the reset command (and I never use the 192.168.1.1 or the 192.168.50.1 defaults on any network I configure either).

The issue is your browser, most likely. You can try with another browser as a test (I use Edge, exclusively).

Either close the browser completely and wait a minute or two before starting it again or, reboot the computer (do not shut down, reboot. These are different routines in any current Windows computer).
I don't believe it is browser related as my primary browser is Firefox. I've tried a FF private window as well as switching over to Chrome (which I had never previously used to configure my router) and the issue persisted.

I did not reboot my PC, but I don't really see how that could have any effect. I did release and renew my DHCP IP address, though that also had no effect. I just kept power-cycling the router until one time it magically let me in.

I also don't see how not resetting the previously logged-in IP not being wiped during a factory reset is considered normal behavior.

One thing's for sure: this will definitely limit the number of times I reset to defaults and start over :)

How can the router being reset affect the cached values of your browser? ;)

Firefox issues abound. Try another browser, at least to test with.

This issue (even if it was wide-spread, and it isn't) isn't a reason to not do a full and proper reset, when required.

How can the router being reset affect the cached values of your browser? ;)

Firefox issues abound. Try another browser, at least to test with.

This issue (even if it was wide-spread, and it isn't) isn't a reason to not do a full and proper reset, when required.
How can values cached in Firefox make Chrome not work when attempting to log into the router for the very first time? ;)

In fact, even when I tried logging into the router for the very first time after unboxing it, I ran into this exact issue. That could not be caused by cached browser values. Something seems to be cached in the router, and is not cleared during a reset.

I don't know. Notice I did not say to use Chrome either.

If the router itself really is doing this (and you can just test if a fully updated Edge does the same...) then it is not really being reset.

What router is it anyway? How are you doing the reset, specifically?

I don't know. Notice I did not say to use Chrome either.

If the router itself really is doing this (and you can just test if a fully updated Edge does the same...) then it is not really being reset.

What router is it anyway? How are you doing the reset, specifically?
RT-AX86U - "Restore factory defaults" option from Administration page, which triggers an automatic reboot (thus no option to log out of the GUI).

Also, when I'm in this state of getting the error, I also have tried performing a "hard reset" with the reset button on the router but it doesn't change anything.

Is the cached logged in user information stored somewhere in nvram that I can reset manually before the factory reset/reboot cycle? I seem to recall seeing this somewhere but I can't find it now.

If so, would that prevent this issue?

UPDATE: Found the old thread I was looking for: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cannot-logon-to-rt-n66u.7417/#post-42994

However, after thinking about it, this can't work because the factory reset should erase whatever login info is stored in nvram.

Is it possible that the "factory default" values include some login info?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!