What's new

RT-AX86U / RT-AX55 AiMesh - Single shared channel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerAbuser

Occasional Visitor
I needed a 2nd router to replace a TP-Link AX router and figured I would get an ASUS AiMesh capable unit.

I got a RT-AX55 and got it meshed up with my AX86U over Ethernet. It worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to specify the frequency for the AX55.

I wanted the AX86U on a channel 157 (80MHz) and the AX55 on a DFS channel (80MHz). From what I can tell, they automatically share the same channel and there is nothing you can do about it.

Is that correct or is there some roundabout way of specifying that somewhere?

I needed a 2nd router to replace a TP-Link AX router and figured I would get an ASUS AiMesh capable unit.

I got a RT-AX55 and got it meshed up with my AX86U over Ethernet. It worked fine, but I couldn't find a way to specify the frequency for the AX55.

I wanted the AX86U on a channel 157 (80MHz) and the AX55 on a DFS channel (80MHz). From what I can tell, they automatically share the same channel and there is nothing you can do about it.

Is that correct or is there some roundabout way of specifying that somewhere?
All devices in aimesh share same channel. So far no way around it.

OK, thank you for the verification. I was hoping for more granular control. I will have to run the 2nd router as an access point instead.

Mesh systems use Wi-Fi to connect APs/nodes. Both radios must be on the same channel to establish a link.

If you want different 5 GHz channels, the mesh link would need to be 2.4 GHz. Apparently, AiMesh will not allow you to do this.

Your plan to run the second router as an Ethernet-connected AP is the way to go.

Ya, it makes sense that they might need to run on the same channel if you are using WiFi for backhaul. If you are using Ethernet, like I did, you should be able to specify the WiFi channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!