What's new

RT-AX86U slow LAN speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

molly_dog

New Around Here
I didn't see this addressed here, but maybe it has... My RT-AX86U seems to have a slowed speed on the LAN ports. The internal modem speed test is showing 450+ Mbps, but connecting a PC to the LAN port and running speedtest.net gets less than 200. The ASUS replaces an old TPlink router that has poor WIFI but does spit out 400 Mbps on the LAN. I called ASUS support and they couldn't see any issue so suggested I get a replacement hardware. I did and now seeing the exact same thing. I have the latest ASUS firmware, I could go with Merlin if anyone thinks that would help, but really asking if there is something that I should do in the setup? Thanks for any advice

Welcome to the forums @molly_dog.

What firmware is your router using? Have you ever upgraded it? From which previous version?

What options and/or features are you using on the router? Do you have any USB devices plugged into it?

Have you ever performed a full reset on it? Have you used a saved backup config file from a previous firmware or router?

Show us a diagram of your network too if you can. Every bit of information helps.

Hi, thanks again for any help and advice. Here's more info on my set up and I guess I'm looking for any suggestion on what settings to use and also to confirm that others are seeing full throughput from their modem through their AX86U to the LAN

We have Xfinity 400 Mbps service and a new Netgear CM1100 router.
I did a firmware upgrade on the router to:
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a
and I have done a hard reset (not just reboot). It's a new install with just the default settings, so I don't have any previous versions to compare. The only comparison I have is with my old TPlink router (Archer C8) that has lousy WiFi but does have full throughput from modem to LAN.
I have an unmanaged Netgear Gigabit switch after the router, but for these speedtests I plug directly into the router LAN ports. There are no USB or other devices plugged in to it.
I'm comparing the internal modem speed test found in the Adaptive QoS tab to speedtest.net run on my PC. That shows the router is seeing 400+ Mbps but only about 200+ coming out.

Any advice on what settings I should use on the router to maximize throughput to both LAN and WiFi would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for that advice. I followed the best practice settings and I'm still seeing a lower throughput to the LAN. Wifi seems fine, I can even see 300+ Mbps at times. I tried on two different PCs and get the same result and the fact that I can get full throughput out of the old TPlink does seem to point to the Asus. I guess the first thing is I'd like to confirm that others see full throughput on their RT-AX86U comparing the internal speed test to a test out of the LAN ports. And then any suggestions?
Thanks again!

I did a firmware upgrade on the router to:
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a

There is a newer firmware to address the DNSmasq issues but it will not show up in the router update page.
You have to go to the site and get it.

What is the status of your ports?
Will be under system status on the right side main page of router.
Click where it says status.

Mine:

Screenshot 2021-02-24 142725.jpg

This definitely is perplexing. I have installed that firmware and did a full reset. I would suspect my laptop, but I get the same slower speed on another PC. Asus support suggested enabling Jumbo Frame but that didn't do anything. Anyone else run into anything like this?

The status says the port is full speed
1614210527954.png

Hi,
Yes, I tried different cables, and also I do get the full bandwidth throughput with the same modem and cables with the old TPLink router.

Here are the measurements I'm seeing.
This is from the router itself
1614234486683.png

and these two are speed tests on the PC
1614234526311.png

1614234542307.png

I'm curious to hear what others see when they do this same set of internal and external speed tests.

Hi, I'm still hoping to hear from anyone if they have seen this sort of issue before and any possible resolution. Also, it would be great to hear from others if they can do an internal and external speedtest to confirm that this is just a problem with mine and not inherent to RT-AX86U models.

Thanks

No such issues with the RT-AX86U models I have set up.

You may want to see if the following link provides any resolution for your issue. If not, it may be a hardware issue as you suspect.

Fully Reset Router and Network

I have the same problem,
I have tried reseting and recofiguring a lot of times.
I have a 1000/1000
on wired i can get 700/250 (tried on 3 different computers) , on wifi 6 i get 550/550

With my old RT-AC86u with wired i get 950/950 on the 3 computers
The old router is by far superior

I am considering going back to the old router until ASUS fixes the RT-AX86U

I am experiencing a similar speed problem.
The system status indicates my WAN and connected LAN are at 1Gbps.
My PC realtek device shows 1Gbps and yet my media playback to my TV is being limited to 100Mbps which means some 4k movies experience stuttering due to the bandwidth being strangled.
According to 'Bandwidth Monitor, the speed gets to 102Mbps max.
So how do I get 1Gbps to my TV on my CAT8 wired network?

I am experiencing a similar speed problem.
The system status indicates my WAN and connected LAN are at 1Gbps.
My PC realtek device shows 1Gbps and yet my media playback to my TV is being limited to 100Mbps which means some 4k movies experience stuttering due to the bandwidth being strangled.
According to 'Bandwidth Monitor, the speed gets to 102Mbps max.
So how do I get 1Gbps to my TV on my CAT8 wired network?
Are you streaming 4K movies from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. or are you streaming from a video server in your home?

From an online video service you really don't need more than a link rate of 20 - 25 Mbps. A fast Ethernet connection 100 Mbps is more than adequate. Your problem might be too many devices trying to stream at the same time overloading either your router or your Internet connection from your ISP.

I am streaming on my home intranet using only Serviio and my TV.
There are no other devices being used by the network when streaming movies.
Online streaming use heavy compression to get reliable lower bitrates which is why the content looks so bad when compared to uncompressed 4k!
Pandora0001 has the right answer, thanks.
I've discovered my TV is indeed limited to 100Mb ethernet, so when viewing action with many scene changes the TV doesn't receive the stream quick enough as indicated by 'Bandwidth Monitor'
If you also factor in the higher bitrate for dolby vision and atmos then the 100Mb can be exceeded.
I guess the manufacturers get away with it by not actually stating they will cope with full audio and visual streams.
I'll try WiFi although I don't expect this to be any quicker than the ethernet due to more error correction required and the capability of the device.
Thanks for your replies.

I have the same issue with ax86u - the research that i have done shows that its a Trendmicro issue. I found if I turn off QOS I get full speed. The only problem with that I would get bad blufferbloat. So, I will live with it until the issue is fixed. One thing you might have to do is withdraw from the privacy. It's under Admin then privacy.

I'm having the same issue. I have like 500/500, and i get like 250-300 down on a wired connection. If i remove the router and plug my internet directly into the laptop i'm testing on, i get full speed. I'm running the latest firmware. i've tried turning aiprotect off, QOS off. Doesnt fix anything. reset the router to default....no change. This only started happening at the end of march. I did upgrade the firmware, though i reverted to the old firmware and tested and the same thing is happening now....its driving me crazy.

I'm having the same issue. I have like 500/500, and i get like 250-300 down on a wired connection. If i remove the router and plug my internet directly into the laptop i'm testing on, i get full speed. I'm running the latest firmware. i've tried turning aiprotect off, QOS off. Doesnt fix anything. reset the router to default....no change. This only started happening at the end of march. I did upgrade the firmware, though i reverted to the old firmware and tested and the same thing is happening now....its driving me crazy.

Did you find a solution? I just got mine and I'm getting proper speeds on 5ghz wifi but max 90mbps on cable and 2.4ghz wifi

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!