What's new

RT-AX86U Teardown

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I need videos or images for helping teardown RT-AX86U. Thanks in advanced!
Why? Do you really want to void the warranty? You have nothing to gain by taking it apart!

I need videos or images for helping teardown RT-AX86U. Thanks in advanced!
Good luck. I tried for almost an hour trying to figure out how to open the clamshell (without breaking anything), and eventually gave up... It's different from the RT-AC86U despite having a similar form factor.

Many times there is one more screw under the serial # label.

Many times there is one more screw under the serial # label.

There are 2 screws under the label, towards each end of the label. The lower one, nearest ports 3 & 4, has a white warranty sticker over the screw, impossible to remove intact as it sits down a tunnel. So piercing it with the screwdriver tip will void the warranty.

I thought I did remove the sticker (since I know it's very common for Asus to hide screws behind them), but it's been quite a while so I can't remember for sure if I did.

One of our cats "marked" (sprayed) over one of my routers yesterday and in my panic I came across this thread (which did not show much). In order to help out at this fine site, I'll share some pics and a helpful video (by youtube user miahz) for others who may need help like I did...

Managed to save the router by the way, but it reminded me of the things we do when raising infants...

No guarantees or comebacks to me, do this at your own risk as I had to and hang your warranty as stated above in the thread...

I personally couldn't see how to get it apart until this youtube clue starting around 30 seconds for the guidance (even if it is a different model, it shows the principals).

My still images to help others in need:

20230809_132515ResizedEdit.jpg

20230809_132601ResizeEdit.jpg

20230809_131623Case latches and lugs.jpg

The front of case is upside down in the next picture for lighting required to show the latch dogs:

20230809_131300FrontFascia latchdogs.jpg

Side of case separation joint for reference:

20230809_131722Case sep resize.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!