What's new

RT-AX86U to be discontinued?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why does everybody have such a hang up around the word Pro? It has been twisted by marketers to mean “one step up” regardless of the step size. We lost the war, it is what it is. They are all product names for the purpose of consumerism, so no big deal.

Why does everybody have such a hang up around the word Pro?

Wait few months and you'll get the answer to your question. If it was marketed as V2 the price would stay the same. Like AX58U and AC68U with updated hardware. Pro marketing perhaps comes with Pro price. Consumers may end up paying more for virtually no added benefits. Let's see.

Why does everybody have such a hang up around the word Pro? It has been twisted by marketers to mean “one step up” regardless of the step size. We lost the war, it is what it is. They are all product names for the purpose of consumerism, so no big deal.

I don't recall a Pro model from ASUS, so I'm looking forward to what they mean by it. I trust it's a worthwhile addition to their product offering for whatever reasons.

FWIW, a model name may be marketing, but I don't think it's of consumerism per se.

OE

Will it be more of an iPhone Pro (targeted at consumers) or an iMac Pro (targeted at "professionals")?
The latter for sure. Video game console, cell phones, tablets. None of them are actually professional. It’s just a marketing term now.

I there going to be a Pro version with this thingy hanging to the antenna? :)

1657491003150.png

Pro on the consumer market in most cases comes from more Profit for the manufacturer. Consumers are convinced by marketing to pay big money for small advantages, if any. Some non-Pro products are actually the same as Pro hardware, but with disabled features:

Windows 11 Ready. :)

What, no mirrored top?!
My understanding is all the technical improvements are mirror-based.

I got the go ahead from Asus to discuss the specs of the RT-AX86U Pro.

It's basically an upgraded RT-AX86U as people already suspected. BCM4912 CPU (like the GT-AX6000/XT12/etc...) and BCM6715 wifi, with the same newer SDK (so, Linux kernel 4.19).

It will also be one of the first models to launch on the new 388 firmware which will include, among other things, a new VPN interface (with Wireguard client and server support), and various improvements to Parental Control.

The release date mentioned by the OP is correct.

No word on the future of the non-Pro model, but personally I assume it will remain on sale, unless the RT-AX86U Pro launched at the same price.
I'm reading that Linux got Wireguard kernel support starting with 5.6, but you state here that these pro models will get kernel 4.19. So, no kernel support for Wireguard in these pro models (and hence, no speed advantage other than what you'd get with a CPU upgrade)?

I'm reading that Linux got Wireguard kernel support starting with 5.6, but you state here that these pro models will get kernel 4.19. So, no kernel support for Wireguard in these pro models (and hence, no speed advantage other than what you'd get with a CPU upgrade)?
It was mainlined in 5.6, but it has been available out of tree since kernel 3.10.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!