What's new

RT-AX86U to be discontinued?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I got the go ahead from Asus to discuss the specs of the RT-AX86U Pro.

It's basically an upgraded RT-AX86U as people already suspected. BCM4912 CPU (like the GT-AX6000/XT12/etc...) and BCM6715 wifi, with the same newer SDK (so, Linux kernel 4.19).

It will also be one of the first models to launch on the new 388 firmware which will include, among other things, a new VPN interface (with Wireguard client and server support), and various improvements to Parental Control.

The release date mentioned by the OP is correct.

No word on the future of the non-Pro model, but personally I assume it will remain on sale, unless the RT-AX86U Pro launched at the same price.
Ok, so no unii4 or dual-2GbE?

So, my estimate of an 8-month wait for WG support seems correct then. :)

How can it be an 8-month wait if this model is due to launch in August/September (this year presumably), and launch with 388 series firmware that is expected to have fully integrated Wireguard support (client and server)?
Even if it doesn't become widely available until October/November, that's still a lot shorter than 8 months.

Not my estimate from today. :)

The initial timetable for Asus was to release 388 during spring 2022 (with the beta having happened as early as the previous autumn). That's why I said back then it wouldn't take 8 months, because it was not the plan at that time. 388 ended up being delayed to new model launches this autumn as they decided to add more new features to it.

Last edited:
One single 2.5 Gbps indeed.
That's unfortunate, as having at least a pair of higher speed ports made a much more compelling reason to wait for that Pro model (over the current RT-AX86U). Now I am starting to hope that the current model is discontinued in favor of this Pro one (presuming this one slots in at basically the same price), as it is hard to imagine a need for three versions (when including the somewhat crippled version, the RT-AX86S).

Oh yeah, nevermind, I am forgetting the need for marketing "diversity", aka: make enough models that sound almost exactly alike, so as to misguide the average consumer.

That's unfortunate, as having at least a pair of higher speed ports made a much more compelling reason to wait for that Pro model (over the current RT-AX86U). Now I am starting to hope that the current model is discontinued in favor of this Pro one (presuming this one slots in at basically the same price), as it is hard to imagine a need for three versions (when including the somewhat crippled version, the RT-AX86S).

Oh yeah, nevermind, I am forgetting the need for marketing "diversity", aka: make enough models that sound almost exactly alike, so as to misguide the average consumer.
For more than one multigig port, the GT-AX11000 Pro will be the model to get, as it will have one 10 Gbps port and one 2.5 Gbps port.

Still, I called it correctly. :)

Not a clock, just a human...

Already suffering from the Osborne effect...

Maybe ASUS should release the price as well?

PS: This router will probably need Asuswrt-Merlin 388 and thus (initially) only be able to run stock firmware when it's released?

For more than one multigig port, the GT-AX11000 Pro will be the model to get, as it will have one 10 Gbps port and one 2.5 Gbps port.
I am aware of it, just a little too "extreme" for my tastes (in both appearance and likely price range).

Why would they use the same CPU as the ax6000, and not give it dual 2.5gbe. Well done, Asus!
It's clearly all about Asus picking just the right "check the boxes" mix of features to have an insanely wide range of models, chosen as carefully as possible to try to prevent cannibalization of sales from other models, rather than what is technically possible and useful from a consumer perspective. See the above related comment about Osborne Effect from @XIII

Why would they use the same CPU as the ax6000, and not give it dual 2.5gbe. Well done, Asus!
Because then it would just become a GT-AX6000 but without the ROG look.

See the above related comment about Osborne Effect from @XIII
That might not apply here since people have reportedly been having difficulties finding the RT-AX86U in stock these past few months.

It's possible that the switch to the BCM4912 was dictated by component shortages perhaps, which would also explain why this is not a major redesign, and it also kept the same base model name.

While I would also like a 2.5 gbps WAN port and a 2.5 gbps LAN port, I have a hard time justifying that I could actually make good use of a 2.5 gbps WAN port. The key value for me is the 2.5 gbps LAN port so that I can tie my wired 2.5 gbps network to my wireless network at a higher speed, but even that is somewhat tenuous value due to the difference in latency and duplex-status for wireless and wired.

What I see here is marketing involvement with Pro versions of RT-AX86U and GT-AX11000, but real V2 hardware revision with perhaps better SoC availability, software issues avoidance and in general move to unified platform for differently marketed products based on the same hardware platform and SDK. Since there is no point manufacturing the same router with two different SoC, I would say wave goodbye to AX86U and AX11000 models. They will be likely gone after the remaining stock in retailers is cleared out. Remaining components stock will be perhaps sold as RT-AX86S, until quantities last. Same "old" platform AX88U and AX92U will be quietly discontinued. AX92U is on clearance very often anyway. AX88U will disappear from retail channels.

At least this is what I would do from a business point of view. The result is reduced cost in both hardware and software development.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!