What's new

RT-AX86U to be discontinued?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While I would also like a 2.5 gbps WAN port and a 2.5 gbps LAN port, I have a hard time justifying that I could actually make good use of a 2.5 gbps WAN port. The key value for me is the 2.5 gbps LAN port so that I can tie my wired 2.5 gbps network to my wireless network at a higher speed, but even that is somewhat tenuous value due to the difference in latency and duplex-status for wireless and wired.
It's pretty typical for 1Gbps ISP plans over-provision to ~1.3Gbps, so you'd be losing ~350Mbps without the 2.5GbE WAN.

I see no reason to update based on the new specs, I will run my ax86u into the ground like I did my rt-n66u. Existing is performing flawlessly.

Is it likely the ax11000 pro is realeased before the ax86u pro, and also getting the 388 treatment? What CPU is in the ax11000 pro?

In looking closer at it's Asus page, the top RGB treatment looks like an 8-bit dot-matrix, versus the infinity image thing of the axe* routers. It also looks physically smaller than the axe* line (the body to antenna ratio looks lower). I'd like to update my LAN/WAN to 2.5GbE, so this might be a good stop-gap until wifi7 stuff is released. AX200+ clients getting updated to unii4 would be a nice perk, but perhaps isn't likely. Also, these pro models might be VPN beasts, so there's that to consider as well, as I don't use router VPN's because of their poor performance.

Last edited:
GT-AX11000 Pro should start appearing on store shelves over the next few weeks. RT-AX86U_Pro will be more around the end of summer.

BCM4912 as well.

Expect around 250 Mbps with OpenVPN.
Is this the expected VPN performance for pre 388 f/w only, and will improve upon 388 with Wireguard built into the kernel?

Is this the expected VPN performance for pre 388 f/w only, and will improve upon 388 with Wireguard built into the kernel?
OpenVPN performance stays the same regardless of whether it`s on 386 or 388.

As for Wireguard, it will get bottlenecked by the fact that the router cannot use hardware accelerated NAT with Wireguard, so even if Wireguard itself would be faster, your Internet connection would be limited at around 350 Mbps then.

Wireguard is simply not a good solution for a router... If your Internet connection is much faster than what OpenVPN can give you, then you need hardware NAT.

OpenVPN performance stays the same regardless of whether it`s on 386 or 388.

As for Wireguard, it will get bottlenecked by the fact that the router cannot use hardware accelerated NAT with Wireguard, so even if Wireguard itself would be faster, your Internet connection would be limited at around 350 Mbps then.

Wireguard is simply not a good solution for a router... If your Internet connection is much faster than what OpenVPN can give you, then you need hardware NAT.
Great info, thanks. Going from an OpenVPN 250Mbps to a Wireguard 350Mbps is quite an improvement, but still seemingly underwhelming upon realizing that your VPN speeds are ~10% of a spec'd 2.5GbE WAN (good however, if ISP is <=300Mbps). There's a reason that router VPN speeds are rarely marketed/touted, they stink!

I'm wondering if all the RT-AX86 Series will share the same FW (considering right now the RT-AX86U & RT-AX86S use the same FW).

I'm hoping that ASUS does not create a separate version FW for "Pro" version but simply adds it in the RT-AX86 Series FW. Then I may try the new FW right after the RT-AX86 Pro launch to the market, and more importantly, it will ensure that ASUS's support for the non-Pro version will last at least as long as the Pro version.

@RMerlin: as the AX86 Pro will use BCM6715 for 2.4 and 5G, will 2.4G be 4x4:4 or 3x3:3 ?
If they upgrade the ax86u pro to 4x4 on 2.4G then it truly will be an ax6000 (vice 5700), w/out the dual-2GbE. I wish they’d just post the Asus info page on the ax86u pro already

Unfortunately, the chances of AX6000 on this mid-range pro are very low. In the past only high end models (GT-AX 6000/1xxxx, RT-AX88+) got 4x4 on 2.4G as USP. Thus I’ll better wait for RT-BE88U propably with BCM6726

'm wondering if all the RT-AX86 Series will share the same FW (considering right now the RT-AX86U & RT-AX86S use the same FW).
Not possible. RT-AX86U_Pro uses a different SDK due to its newer CPU.

@RMerlin: as the AX86 Pro will use BCM6715 for 2.4 and 5G, will 2.4G be 4x4:4 or 3x3:3 ?
Still three streams.

Going from an OpenVPN 250Mbps to a Wireguard 350Mbps is quite an improvement,
I didn't say that Wireguard would reach 350 Mbps. I said that the Internet would be limited to that. So, Wireguard will be somewhere below 350.

Maybe ASUS will contain all FW for AX86 series in a single file? Just like they did in RT-AC68U firmware....
What would be the point? It's still two different firmware, they are compiled separately, just that they are combined in the same file.

In the RT-AC68U_V4 case, this is because this is still an RT-AC68U, sold as such. The RT-AC68U_V4 is not sold as its own model, while the RT-AX86U_Pro will be a totally separate SKU, it`s not a V2 of the original model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!