What's new

RT-AX86U wireless isolation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

testing123

Regular Contributor
Are the normal (not guest) wireless networks isolated from the wired network? With guest network, I have the option to turn off 'intranet access', but there's no such option in the normal wireless networks. I don't need any of my wireless devices to access my wired clients and would like to use only an isolated wireless.

Are the normal (not guest) wireless networks isolated from the wired network?

Normally no, but you can use Set AP Isolated in Professional settings or place them all on a Guest Network.

I don't need any of my wireless devices to access my wired clients and would like to use only an isolated wireless.

Are you sure? They won't be able to exchange files with other devices nor use shared resources - storage, printer, scanner etc.

We meet again, Tech9. :)

The 'Set AP isolated' tooltip is a bit vague in that it mentions only 'wireless clients or devices'.

Whenever I need to transfer files to or from my phones/tablets, I connect using USB.

Attachments

• APisolate.PNG
    APisolate.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 114
The 'Set AP isolated' tooltip is a bit vague in that it mentions only 'wireless clients or devices'.

I see it, test the access to wired to make sure. I can't test it at the moment.

Whenever I need to transfer files to or from my phones/tablets, I connect using USB.

You're making it more difficult for you again. Why restricting your wireless devices on your network?

I see it, test the access to wired to make sure. I can't test it at the moment.

No need, thanks. I thought someone might know.

You're making it more difficult for you again. Why restricting your wireless devices on your network?

It's not a difficulty at all.

I'm battening down the hatches of aspects of the network I don't really need or use.

"Set AP isolated" refers to the ability (or not) of devices connected to the same AP to be able to talk directly to each other. This is different than isolating all clients on the AP from the LAN.

"Set AP isolated" refers to the ability (or not) of devices connected to the same AP to be able to talk directly to each other. This is different than isolating all clients on the AP from the LAN.

This is what I'd like to do, unless it involves jumping through hoops that aren't practical for the layman.

This is what I'd like to do, unless it involves jumping through hoops that aren't practical for the layman.
Easy. Don't use the primary WiFi SSID's (which can't be isolated from the LAN) and just use the Guest SSID's. Set the passwords for the primary SSID's to something that only you know and that is different from any of the Guest SSID's.

Easy. Don't use the primary WiFi SSID's (which can't be isolated from the LAN) and just use the Guest SSID's. Set the passwords for the primary SSID's to something that only you know and that is different from any of the Guest SSID's.

Makes sense, and simple. Thanks!