What's new

RT-AX88U - AX wifi issues - speeds worse than AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chenks

Regular Contributor
just installed a Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x card in my laptop (replacing previous Killer AC card).
to say i'm underwhelmed is an understatement.

link speed ot 287Mbps (both ways), and files transfers maxing out at 26MB/s (or there abouts).
that's worse than what i was getting when using the AC card.

am i missing something obvious here? the laptop is sitting about 10 feet away from the routers (line of sight no obstacles).
drivers downloaded from killer website.

Annotation 2020-07-24 175222.jpg

At 287 Mbps, you are probably connected to the 2.4 GHz band instead of the 5 GHz band.

changing it to 80Mhz only actually made it worse.
now 287Mbps/117Mbps.

using the AC card i was getting well over 700Mbps both ways.

re-enabling all bands has resulted in the laptop now connecting on 2.4GHz with 516/574 Mbps.
still worse than when i was using the AC card though

Annotation 2020-07-24 184514.jpg

edit - and just sitting here it's dropped back to 5Ghz at 287/287

Last edited:
OK i've done some manual adjusting of the channels (previously set to AUTO).
set 5GHz to channel 60, 2.4Ghz to channel 6

i now get 2402/2402 Mbps on 5Ghz, is that a good end result?

Annotation 2020-07-24 191714.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-24 191736.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-24 191757.jpg

although i don't know which one to believe, windows or killer control center.

Annotation 2020-07-24 192954.jpg

although the asus mobile app gives a link speed of the same as windows.

i tested copying a file from the NAS to my laptop, and i was averaging at 60MB/s which is only about 480Mbps

yeah i'm not pulling any more than 548Mbps on a iperf test between the laptop and the NAS.
the NAS is connected the router using LAG so has 2 x 1Gbps available to it

Annotation 2020-07-24 194014.jpg

How fast can you copy off the (wired) NAS from a wired computer?

2x 1Gbps LAG doesn't do anything for a single client.

At 2402Mbps connection rate, you're at the best possible for the 2x2:2 WiFi adaptor.

See if ditching the 'Killer' software and fully/completely uninstalling the drivers and then installing pure Intel drivers helps.

Pure Intel? What are those? Killer website only offers the ones I have installed

I know lag doesn't help a single client, but shows its capable of 1Gbps to a client.

I actually have no real Ethernet devices, I have a usb Ethernet adaptor kicking about somewhere though

Pure Intel? What are those? Killer website only offers the ones I have installed

I know lag doesn't help a single client, but shows its capable of 1Gbps to a client.

I actually have no real Ethernet devices, I have a usb Ethernet adaptor kicking about somewhere though

The Killer uses an Intel AX wifi chipset. Try uninstalling everything Killer and try the Intel wifi driver (though it could be the same).

Sam

looks like it's the same driver, same version number anyway.

changing the channels as per post 7 resulted in getting 2.4Gbps reported connection speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!