What's new

RT-AX88U cannot upgrade from 380.62_1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brent

New Around Here
I bought a used RT-AX88U that came with the 380.62_1 version. I tried updating the firmware to the latest 386 version released recently. But nothing changes. It remains on 380.62_1 and I've searched all over but couldn't find a way out. Can someone please help? This is my first ASUS ever.

I'm confused about JFFS as well and would appreciate some clarification. On the firmware upgrade page, I read, "WARNING: you have JFFS enabled. Make sure you have a backup of its content, as upgrading your firmware MIGHT overwrite it!" However, my System Settings (Persistent JFFS2 partition tab) shows that both these are disabled: "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" and "Format JFF partition at next boot". So, why am I seeing thae warning that I have JFFS turend on? Thank you!

You're probably using the wrong firmware.

If your router currently has version 380.62_1 installed then it cannot be an RT-AX88U as that model didn't exist when that firmware came out five and a half years ago.

It's likely that your router is actually an RT-AC88U.

My bad. You're right Colin! It is indeed AC88U. My questions remain though and would appreciate answers. One other thing: in my hasty - even lazy -update attempts, I did not read the change log as recommended. I did read it now and it recommends factory-resetting before going to the latest if the current firmware version is more the 3 versions old. So, perhaps, thats the route I must take? (To go from ver 380.n to 386.n?)

Given that this router is new to you there's no reason not to do a factory reset on it now. Then after you've done the minimum required to log back into it (user name and passwords) try to install the current firmware. Assuming that works OK and you can log in to confirm the firmware version, I would do a final factory reset just to make sure it's now using the default settings for 386.x rather than the old defaults from 380.x.

Got it, thank you, Colin. What of the JFFS though? Do I wipe it/format it on reboot? If so, before or after?

Last edited:
Factory hard-reset and loading the latest firmware done. I'm surprised how easy it was! (I'm coming from using various other devices and some misreable experiences; I wish I had moved to ASUS - and Merlin - much earlier) Thank you Colin and Merlin!