What's new

RT-AX88U chipset is WiFi 6 Certified

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are their tests that extensive tho, or do they just confirm that the feature is implemented and working with their test environment of choice?
Test details are available only to WFA members, which I am not.

Wi-Fi Certification's primary benefit is that it helps interoperability. That said, it can't test everything, so it's no guarantee.

I don't think the average consumer really cares or notices Wi-Fi Certification. Even if a product is certified, the logo is tiny and usually tucked away on a side flap. Manufacturers don't want anything interfering with their marketing methods or message.
I was hopeful that the simplified branding (“Wi-Fi 6”) would drive consumer interest in properly certified devices. It’s super clear and simple enough to use as a marketing promotion / gimmick, which Wi-Fi has kind of lacked.

At least if that becomes common as marketing, consumers will gradually choose “Wi-Fi 6 Certified” routers and devices over ones that aren’t, over time, even if they don’t understand why it’s better under the hood.

But do devices have to actually support OFDMA and TWT to use the “Wi-Fi 6 Certified” label? I was excited about Wi-Fi 6 as an easy marketing way to drive OFDMA adoption. But if (for example) Intel laptops with their new Wi-Fi chipset can be sold as “Wi-Fi 6 Certified” even without OFDMA enabled somehow, then the label is useless.

But do devices have to actually support OFDMA and TWT to use the “Wi-Fi 6 Certified” label?
Yes.

Here's the detail from the AX200 Wi-Fi Certificate:
intelax200_cert_win.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!