What's new

RT-AX88U constantly unable to see modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RHPT

New Around Here
I've been using an RT-AX88U for 1.5 years and it has worked great until recently. Starting about a week ago, the router constantly drops the connection to the cable modem, and I have to power cycle the router to get it working again. This is happening every couple of hours and is very frustrating (In fact, the router lost connection as I was writing this post and it was only 40 minutes ago that I rebooted the router). The issue isn't with my provider because I am able to use the internet when connected directly to the modem, and I've rebooted my modem as a precaution. I am running the latest stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.388_23748-g50a1620.

I do have one AiMesh node, an RT-AC66U B1, that is hardwired to the AX88U. This is a recent change. Previously, I was using wifi for backhaul connectivity but it wasn't working so great so I ran a cable from the AX88U to the node.

I looked over the log, and I see many, many entries like these, in the hundreds. Is this normal?

Jul 30 19:24:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc F8:87:F1 : D2:4A:96, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jul 30 19:24:23 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc F8:87:F1: D2:4A:96, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jul 30 19:24:23 roamast: eth6: disconnect weak signal strength station [f8:87:f1: d2:4a:96]
Jul 30 19:24:23 roamast: eth6: remove client [f8:87:f1:d2:4a:96] from monitor list
Jul 30 19:24:25 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Jul 30 19:24:27 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Jul 30 19:24:32 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Jul 30 19:24:35 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex
Jul 30 19:24:40 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the point of ditching the Asus altogther

Last edited:
Look for clues in all messages leading up to and including the time when the problem occurs. Or save the complete log and post it either here or on pastebin.com for us to look at.

Thanks. I would start by unplugging that device in the 4th LAN port to stop all those messages and see if the situation improves. What is that device? Is it your AiMesh node? You can also see these messages from a PC that is sleeping but has WoL enabled in it's BIOS.

There doesn't seem to be any other obvious errors in the log (other than you turning the router off and on). There's nothing that indicates that the connection to the modem has dropped. You say the problem doesn't happen when you plug your PC directly into the cable modem, but have you left it connected for long enough to be absolutely sure about that?

There isn't anything in my 4th LAN port. I am only using ports 1 and 2. Port 1 is the AiMesh node and port 2 is an Apple TV, which has always been hardwired to the router (it was on port 1 prior to backhaul switch). I do see in the logs where it says eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b)

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 8.46.08 PM.png

The virtual to physical mappings often do not match. Experiment to find which port is eth4, my guess is that it's port 1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!