What's new

RT-AX88U new firmware 3.0.0.4.384_8018

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Arokhantos, ???

So things are working great so far but you fear the worst still. :p

6 day without any issue
I did perform my regular firmware update routine,
after the update, power off the router for 30 sec, hold WPS and then power on
wait for the power led to turn off, reboot and then reconfigure my stuff

ax88.png
the update does fix the speed cap issue for the QoS.
I decided to play around with the new feature, however, the new introduce game device prioritizing doesn't' work lol
doesn't have a way to apply after you select the device that you wish to prioritize
no way to apply.png
the Open Nat feature ... doesn't seem to work either?
it does turn on port forwarding when you enable open port
However, the Game/port you select under the Game profile does not show up on the port forwarding page.
I assume that's the intention of that feature, make it easier to set up port forwarding for games.
It is questionable whether it works properly when nothing shows on the port forwarding page.
I didn't verify if it works though as it was just toying with the features that I don't use during free time.

Last edited:
I had problems with Nvidia Shield not connecting to my RT-ax88u until I downloaded this new firmware and all is working great for 2-3 weeks. No disconnection or whatsoever. I really like this firmware and hopefully Merlin decides to optimize this one.

I’ve had a bit of a development with it. If I use aimesh with my Lyra Mini then the whole thing crashes. Turn off the mesh node and all is well. Still not ideal but may not need the Lyra Mini anymore as I seem to get signal everywhere now. Even Smart Connect appears to be working well.

@KrimsonTide it will be eventually. (A GPL drop and some RMerlin 'free' time is needed). :)

I just dirty flashed (from Merlin 384.13) this fw and is really nice and smooth. Didn't change single settings. Looks like Wi-Fi was fixed on this one. Hopefully will stay like that.

I just dirty flashed (from Merlin 384.13) this fw and is really nice and smooth. Didn't change single settings. Looks like Wi-Fi was fixed on this one. Hopefully will stay like that.
What issue you were having with wifi?

I did put info in other threads, basically in 384.14 PMF cause slow throughput on mobile devices where link between mobile phones and router over 500Mb/s, download speed 2Mb/s where broadband throughput was over 60Mb/s on pc, and I couldn't disable this so have to downgrade to 384.13 which was best for me. In later builds (384.15) for some reason my WiFi just keep dropping connection, and also 2.4 Ghz band was weeker. Was going to try 384.16 when stable is out but apparently is on older GPL, so will wait till next release based on this asus build.

I did put info in other threads, basically in 384.14 PMF cause slow throughput on mobile devices where link between mobile phones and router over 500Mb/s, download speed 2Mb/s where broadband throughput was over 60Mb/s on pc, and I couldn't disable this so have to downgrade to 384.13 which was best for me. In later builds (384.15) for some reason my WiFi just keep dropping connection, and also 2.4 Ghz band was weeker. Was going to try 384.16 when stable is out but apparently is on older GPL, so will wait till next release based on this asus build.

Do you observe improvement in 2.4 ghz radio, how signal performing strength and throughput wise.

Since yesterday all smooth, working with wife from home all day today no issues at all.

Installed yesterday on 2xAX88U (one in router mode, the other in AP mode) and running very stable.

Still on this firmware with zero issues.

For several months there was a group of folks on this forum that had the gall to say that the previous buggy builds were all a result of end user settings and “dirty flashing.“

ASUS finally putting out a stable build that is loaded with a “dirty flash“ without resetting any settings is proof positive that these forum users were simply wrong.

While I am certain that there are some edge circumstances we are doing a full-blown reset of every single setting including the SSID may correct some conditions, it is very difficult to overcome a buggy build and a Pyrrhic victory to have stability without promised functionality.

I dirty flashed this fw and there is no issues at all. Very stable.
Mine seems really stable (apart from) i can no longer use my Lyra Mini as a Mesh node. It just causes the 88U to crash completely. Really frustrating as all the Wi-Fi issues seem to have gone and i am even getting better coverage around the house on both bands. Even tried with Smart Connect which seems to work loads better. Not sure if they have fiddled with the default Smart Connect rules or what.

For several months there was a group of folks on this forum that had the gall to say that the previous buggy builds were all a result of end user settings and “dirty flashing.“

ASUS finally putting out a stable build that is loaded with a “dirty flash“ without resetting any settings is proof positive that these forum users were simply wrong.

While I am certain that there are some edge circumstances we are doing a full-blown reset of every single setting including the SSID may correct some conditions, it is very difficult to overcome a buggy build and a Pyrrhic victory to have stability without promised functionality.

Nobody said that at all. Your misunderstanding, I'm sure. :)

You dirty flashed and have no problem,
you have zero issues while the other call it unstable.
what will you tell the person that experiences the issue with this build?

this is simply a user to user forum.
no one knows what your setup like, nor I share the same network setup as you.
as a result, ppl will most likely "suggest" for factory reset as the first troubleshooting steps.
somehow, it's simply an easy troubleshooting step that people found offended.

You dirty flashed and have no problem,
you have zero issues while the other call it unstable.
what will you tell the person that experiences the issue with this build?

this is simply a user to user forum.
no one knows what your setup like, nor I share the same network setup as you.
as a result, ppl will most likely "suggest" for factory reset as the first troubleshooting steps.
somehow, it's simply an easy troubleshooting step that people found offended.

You skipped the part where the "helpful" people didn't mention how several people found versions since .6436 were unstable before sending them on hopeless wild goose chase.... my mistake, I'm sure :)

View attachment 22346
the update does fix the speed cap issue for the QoS.
I decided to play around with the new feature, however, the new introduce game device prioritizing doesn't' work lol
doesn't have a way to apply after you select the device that you wish to prioritize
I made a thread about this a day ago. I was curious if it was just my update.
i really wanted to try this feature out, too.
When turning "on" gear accelerator, it seems to enable "traditional QoS" in adaptive QoS with 2000mbps update and 1000mbps automatically. When checking the "user defined priorities" there's nothing inputted. As I would of suspected, maybe, the device would be listed there.