What's new

RT-AX88U not connecting using 802.11ax iPhone11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brockp

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AX88U running Merlin 384.13. The new iPhone 11 support 802.11ax (our first device that does) but it only associates at 802.11ac.

We have two RT-AX92U running stock Asus firmware as repeaters and when the phone 11 connects to it it does associate as 802.11ax.

The RT-AX92U running as a repeater also does not connect to the RT-AX88U as and AX device but only as an AC device.

Has anyone else confirmed AX working with Merlin on AX88U?

AX88U as a router and a second AX88U (connected by cable in mesh), both on merlin 384.13.
No issues at all getting my laptop with an intel AX200 card connected to them using ax 160mhz channel spacing.

I have an RT-AX88U running Merlin 384.13. The new iPhone 11 support 802.11ax (our first device that does) but it only associates at 802.11ac.
What are you using as indication of AX operation?

AX88U as a router and a second AX88U (connected by cable in mesh), both on merlin 384.13.
No issues at all getting my laptop with an intel AX200 card connected to them using ax 160mhz channel spacing.
160 MHz is also supported in 802.11ac. So that's not a reliable indicator of AX operation. You have to look at link rate.

What are you using as indication of AX operation?

I am using the the wireless log under system log. It shows the device on the AX88U with Merlin as 2(AC) 40MHz, while on the AX92U it shows up as Phy ax NSS 2. All other devices on that repeater show up as AC. I am not using 160Mhz and have have channel static set to 36.

I figured out the problem though. On the AX88U I had HE frames disabled from debugging awful chromecast issues. When I turn it on the phone now connects as AX.

I had hopped this would allow the 4 channel radio from the AX92U to now detect the AX88U but that still does not show up as detected, but sees my neighbors networks just fine. I would like to make that work, the 4 channel radio connecting to the AX88U and the 2 channel radio repeating.

Going back to why I had HE frames off was issues with Chromecast streaming when the casting device was on 5Ghz and the Chromecast was on 2.4Ghz

I attached my Wireless settings below if anyone has any feedback on that or why the AX92U might not associate as an AX device to the AX88U or why the 4 channel radio in the 92U doesn't see it at all but the 2 channel does, but other devices can see the 4 channel 92U radio.

ax88u.jpeg
ax88u-1.jpg

you could try to enable PME, maybe Asus needs it for AX.

Last edited:
This is a known issue with the new line of iPhones. https://www.ikream.com/2019/09/how-...-to-wi-fi-network-troubleshooting-guide-29555

We will probably be seeing a fix sometime this month for this problem. This bug started with 12.1.4. File a ticket with Apple if reset network, etc does not work. Of course they are going to push you to use different wifi equipment to connect with. Push back to get a replacement phine if the reset network or phone does not work.

This is a known issue with the new line of iPhones. https://www.ikream.com/2019/09/how-...-to-wi-fi-network-troubleshooting-guide-29555

We will probably be seeing a fix sometime this month for this problem. This bug started with 12.1.4. File a ticket with Apple if reset network, etc does not work. Of course they are going to push you to use different wifi equipment to connect with. Push back to get a replacement phine if the reset network or phone does not work.

Sorry the iPhone connects now as an AX device once HE frames were turned on. The only remaining thing is why the AX92U won't connect to the AX88U as an AX device which would be more optimal as repeaters (not using AiMesh) but works the way it is for our 100Mbps wan.

160 MHz is also supported in 802.11ac. So that's not a reliable indicator of AX operation. You have to look at link rate.

Actually the Wireless Log is the best place to see which protocol is being used because it explicitly says it.

Attachments

• PHY.png
    PHY.png
    240.1 KB · Views: 740