What's new

RT-AX88U Setup Help Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I had a RT-AC88U that died recently. Just replaced it with a RT-AX88U.

I have a broadband connection of at 200mbs

When I connect laptop via ethernet to the AX88U I get the full 200mbs

When using mobile phone via 5Ghz WiFi I get 60mbs even in the same room as the router. The same phone connected to my old AC88U I got the full 200mbs.

The AX88U has he latest ASUS firmware but all other settings are at their default settings. Having said that all the settings on my old AC88U were default.

Can anyone advise why the wifi performance on the new unit might be poor compared to the old one. Are their some settings you would advise I change so I can get the full 200mbs.

Many thanks in advance.

Consider using a new, never before used SSID. Or, test with either a Guest network or reset the client device (to forget the old network name), reboot it and then re-associate it again with the new router.

I would also suggest the defaults of the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below.

You may want to share what your wifi settings are too.

I hope you are using separate SSIDs for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks. Number 1 source for all wifi speed complaints.

Make sure you are using Channel 40 for 5Ghz Wifi. Enable AX and also enable 160 Channel Bandwidth. Rest of the settings to their defaults.
Leave the Professional Tab settings to their default as well... the way they are after factory reset.

I have tried forgetting network on the client devices and then re-connecting but no joy.

Both the networks are separated into two SSIDs

I have enabled 160 channel bandwidth

How do I share my settings? Is that a screen shot or can I download them somehow?

Last edited:
Here are my settings. Rest all the settings are default under Professional Tab

KDLS9C9.png

I am having zero wifi issues. My internet is 100 Mbps and I consistently get that speed on all my wireless devices.

I had a RT-AC88U that died recently. Just replaced it with a RT-AX88U.

I have a broadband connection of at 200mbs

When I connect laptop via ethernet to the AX88U I get the full 200mbs

When using mobile phone via 5Ghz WiFi I get 60mbs even in the same room as the router. The same phone connected to my old AC88U I got the full 200mbs.

The AX88U has he latest ASUS firmware but all other settings are at their default settings. Having said that all the settings on my old AC88U were default.

Can anyone advise why the wifi performance on the new unit might be poor compared to the old one. Are their some settings you would advise I change so I can get the full 200mbs.

Many thanks in advance.
Have you checked the link speed you get between router and phone? 192, 866, something in between or worse? Tried manual channels instead of Auto on 5Ghz?

Been playing around with wireless settings and have seen some good improvement. Seems like I live in a busy WiFi area and lots of potential for interference.

• Disabled universal beam forming
  • Disabled airtime fairness
  • Disabled mu Mimo
  • Set preamble type to short
  • Changed the control channels to manual
  • Set 160 for 5ghz
For 2.4ghz and 5ghz this resulted in almost a trebbling of speed. I have a 200mbs broadband service and now at furthest distance from the router over WiFi I get 180mbs for 5ghz and 30mbs for 2.4ghz.

I'd like to get the 2.4ghz performance a bit better. Any thoughts?

What device and what it is used for?
Your full 200Mbps ISP speed is reachable with a simple 1x1 AC client on 80MHz channel.
I have a work laptop with an m.2 adapter. Only used for basic emails and growing though. Nothing strenuous.

Only used for basic emails and growing though.

You don't need to occupy the entire WiFi spectrum with 160MHz channel then. 80MHz wide on the best throughput control channel in your area is more than enough for your needs.

You don't need to occupy the entire WiFi spectrum with 160MHz channel then. 80MHz wide on the best throughput control channel in your area is more than enough for your needs.
I changed to 80mhz only and I say to say it's a little faster. Thank you.

Any thoughts on improving 2.4ghz

Any thoughts on improving 2.4ghz

Your options are limited there. Some RT-AX88U users report 2.4GHz signal level reduction with newer firmwares, actually. Stick to 20MHz channel, disable all Roaming Assistant, Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, TX Bursting... and hope for the best. In urban areas 2.4GHz band is usually overcrowded and if you can push steady ~30Mbps it's already a good achievement.

Your options are limited there. Some RT-AX88U users report 2.4GHz signal level reduction with newer firmwares, actually. Stick to 20MHz channel, disable all Roaming Assistant, Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, TX Bursting... and hope for the best. In urban areas 2.4GHz band is usually overcrowded and if you can push steady ~30Mbps it's already a good achievement.
Thanks. Seems like I'm doing ok then

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!