What's new

RT-AX88U | SSD vs USB+SSD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agfac

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a RT-AX88U running the latest merlin firmware (386.1 beta 4b). I've also available a USB 3.0 drive and a SSD USB drive. I'd like to install Entware, Diversion, Skynet, etc., and to have a USB drive to share some files through the network. So, what I'd like to know is whether it is better to use both drives (USB 3.0 drive for Entware, swap file, etc. and SSD as a shared disk) or it is better to use only the SSD with 2 partitions (could it be the same partition for both usages?).

Thank you.

The best is to use the SSD drive for amtm + Entware + swap file + scripts and get a NAS for your file sharing needs instead.

Even a 2-Bay NAS with a single drive installed, to begin with, will give you better performance, stability, and reliability of your entire network than what you propose to do above.

Using a ssd here, have never looked elsewhere, everything just flows

Single partition recommended. A 'swap file', not a 'swap partition'.

With a single partition or 2 partitions?
Just a single. I have a RPi 4 with a drive connected, running as my media/ storage on the network

Last edited: