What's new

RT-AX88U Static IP address problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unsunghero1404

New Around Here
I apologise firstly if this is the wrong place to ask this or it has been asked before, I did try to have a look but couldn't find anything.

I have just upgraded from a very old router to the RT-AX88U and am trying to get my home network up and running. I would definitely say I'm an amateur when it comes to doing this but managed it before on my old router.

I have accessed the routers homepage and under LAN > DHCP Server set enable manual assignment to yes. When I am assigning static IP addresses to certain devices (my NAS box for example). It shows in the list as the IP address I want but when I go back to the Network Map it is still showing the old IP address. I have powered off and on all devices, modem, router, nas, computers and it seems to have no effect.

The other issue I am having is that some devices I have given static IP addresses are showing up with automatic addresses in the Network Map and not the ones I've assigned, where as others that I have not given static IP addresses are showing in the Network Map with static IP addresses.

I never had this problem before and really am not sure where I am going wrong.

Thank you in advance. I am just about to head out for a few hours but if anyone can offer assistance, I will try sort it when I get back.

What firmware are you running?

Have you recently performed an update on the firmware? Did you reset the router to factory defaults afterward?

Did you turn off all network devices and clients at the same time? And then leave them off for at least 10 minutes?

Then, did you try turning on the modem/ONT, waiting for 5 minutes?
Turn on the router and wait for 5 minutes.
Turn on each wired device, then, the rest of your client devices?

If the above order was followed and the issues remain, I would recommend a full reset to factory defaults as outlined in the M&M Config which you can find by using the link in my signature below.

Thanks for the reply.

I am running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_5951 and I did a full factory reset afterwards, Hard reset as suggest on the ASUS site.

All devices were turned off at the same time and left for around 20mins. And it was all turned back on as you suggested, modem, router, dl links, then computer, computer etc.

I will have a look at the link and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Unfortunately I have been through that and it hasn't solved it.

Can I just check I am assigning static ip's in the correct way. LAN > enable manual assignment, select the device from mac address and press the +. Are there further steps I am missing?

Unfortunately I have been through that and it hasn't solved it.

Can I just check I am assigning static ip's in the correct way. LAN > enable manual assignment, select the device from mac address and press the +. Are there further steps I am missing?
Did you press Apply at the bottom?

About this apply button, i dont know if it is a known issue but for me it didnt works with chrome on several computers until recently, i had to use firefox instead.
Everything was apparently ok but settings were never saved because of that.
Was the same for on/off buttons

Yes I did. It is showing the static IP addresses that I want on that LAN screen, but when I click on connected devices it still has the old ones. It just doesn't seem to be actually applying them.

It does seem to be saving the settings but I will check by using firefox as suggested above.

Yes I did. It is showing the static IP addresses that I want on that LAN screen, but when I click on connected devices it still has the old ones. It just doesn't seem to be actually applying them.

It does seem to be saving the settings but I will check by using firefox as suggested above.
It may be that this problem should be self-correcting later today when your DHCP lease time expires and all clients try to renew (although I would think that should have also happened at 12-hours as well).

but when I click on connected devices it still has the old ones.
I believe that information is derived from the Network Map which is known to have "issues". It's possible it is lying to you. Check what the actual IP address being used is on the client itself.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions people have given on this. It seems that yes, the Network Map section was lying to me somewhat.

With regards to connection to my NAS box it has taken some messing around but it looks to be up and running. I don't know if it was a problem with the devices itself, the synology web interface or the router, but it was not allowing access or for me to change the IP address.

What eventually solved it was to change my Router IP so that the NAS could not connect, I then ran the synology assistant for the NAS which allowed me to change it's IP address. I then changed the Router IP back to what it was originally, causing the NAS again to not connect, ran the synology assistant again and it has now allowed me to assign the IP to the NAS that I originally wanted. This has also updated on the router page! Not as easy as it should have been but success!!!

The only thing that is confusing me now, is that the Devolo links that I have to boost my signal through the electrics do not always show as connected. Would this be the usual case? Sometimes they show as connected devices (which makes sense, seen as the adaptor is connected direct to my router, and the other two are linked to the adaptor wireless. But every now and again they disappear as if they are not connected to the router, but devices that are connected to them are not losing signal. If it would be better for me to start a new post for this I am happy to do so.

Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!