What's new

RT-AX88U to AX-86U connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CarlosDuarte

New Around Here
Hello,

I've recently connected AX86U - thru WAN port -> ethernet cable -> Lan port#1 on my main router Asus RT-AX88U running on 3.0.0.4386_42095;
AX86U is neither configured as an access point nor as AiMesh node ;
the purpose of the second router - AX86U - was to isolate a gaming computer from the rest of devices by putting it on its own sub-net and a separate gaming router.

Since I connected 2nd router, my Apple devices ( macBook and Apple TV) download speeds got capped at 200Mbps, down from ~800 Mbps. Surprisingly any
other non Apple device works fine... I got 950 Mbps on my Linux...however it all points out that connecting AX86U caused that slow down.

I'd appricate any help. Thank you.

If you have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios enabled on both Wifi routers then they will compete for channel/bandwidth space on both bands and your 5Ghz channel bandwidth could decrease from 80Mhz to 40Mhz or 20Mhz. If you haven't already done so... You can check in the router settings under the Wifi devices to see how the devices are connecting under... Clients > View List (tab).

One possibility is that the slower Apple devices are connecting on 2.4Ghz and the other devices are still on 5Ghz... but you will have to check that for yourself. It depends on your Wifi settings... whether you are using Smart Connect or have different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, etc.. You could try solving this problem by manually adjusting the Wifi channel settings on each router or force the Apple devices to connect on 5Ghz.

Note: This is just my preference... but if you are playing latency sensitive competitive online games you will want to consider having the AX86U as the main router (and the gaming connection router) and have it get the direct Ethernet from your modem since it's known to be one of the best performing Wifi routers currently on the market for low latency. This would also eliminate the Double NAT from your latency sensitive online gaming devices and it would better secure your other personal devices (personal computers, phones, tablets, etc..) and their router's subnet from the downstream gaming router's subnet. The extra 2.5Gb port on the AX86U can be configured as an extra LAN port if you need all four regular LAN ports.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!