What's new

RT-AX88U VPN Streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cliver

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I am trying to set up a vpn client on my router rather than having it on individual clients as I do now. The problem I have is that I have several (legitimate) streaming services, such as Amazon, Netfix, Now, Paramount+, and even iPlayer set up on my TV (Samsung) and most of them fail when the VPN is connected.
I am using Surfshark at the moment. I have set it up to use OpenVPN UDP but have tried all the options. I have also tried all the UK servers plus one in Amsterdam and all fail. Everything else seem to work OK but obviouslyn I want my paid for streaming services to work.
Google has told me to try changing servers etc. all of which I have done.
Does anyone have a VPN setup on their router that allows access to streaming services without issue?
I have found Surfshark to be very good in general but happy to change if nessesary.
Any user experience and tips appreciated.

Hi All,
I am trying to set up a vpn client on my router rather than having it on individual clients as I do now. The problem I have is that I have several (legitimate) streaming services, such as Amazon, Netfix, Now, Paramount+, and even iPlayer set up on my TV (Samsung) and most of them fail when the VPN is connected.
I am using Surfshark at the moment. I have set it up to use OpenVPN UDP but have tried all the options. I have also tried all the UK servers plus one in Amsterdam and all fail. Everything else seem to work OK but obviouslyn I want my paid for streaming services to work.
Google has told me to try changing servers etc. all of which I have done.
Does anyone have a VPN setup on their router that allows access to streaming services without issue?
I have found Surfshark to be very good in general but happy to change if nessesary.
Any user experience and tips appreciated.
Are you trying to bypass geo blocking with the VPN or will it work for you if you just use the VPN for connections other than streaming? Preventing geo blocking using a VPN is trickier as Netflix, Prime, etc. recognize the IPs used by VPN servers and block them. If you find a server that works today it is probably just a matter of when it won't.

There may be other solutions that will work to prevent geo blocking such as DNS services provided by the same companies offering VPNs. I have never tried that approach so someone else will have to offer you advice about using that approach.

Not particularly trying to bypass geo blocking. I'm in UK and trying to access legitimate streaming services while using the VPN to stay private. Nothing illegal or pirated.
Although the geo blocking might be useful when travelling.

Not particularly trying to bypass geo blocking. I'm in UK and trying to access legitimate streaming services while using the VPN to stay private. Nothing illegal or pirated.
Although the geo blocking might be useful when travelling.
In this case use DNS over TLS (DoT) as this will encrypt your DNS requests so at least your ISP won't know what web sites you are visiting for streaming. Install Merlin on your router and with the VPN director. Then you can specify by device if it is routed using a VPN tunnel or the WAN. It may also be possible to setup certain devices to use the VPN but when going to a certain domains route using the WAN. I have never tried this option so I can't tell you how well it works. I find it simpler just to have my video streaming devices use the WAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!