What's new

RT-AX89X suddenly started using a lot more CPU and memory leak leads to lockup every ~10mins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those of you not wanting to try that unofficial beta software, or if you have a different router, some folks are reporting having success with just deleting the file "chknvram20230516", as Somax and Pheonix mention above, which then updates to "chknvram2023518" and then they aren't experiencing the leak. Here is how to do it if you don't know how to run the command to delete the file:

Re: RT-AX89X going out of memory every 10 minutes (asd process?)

You need to have telnet or ssh enabled. I used ssh. So if not enabled, between 2 crashes of the router, enable SSH (in Administration / System). Choose LAN only, choose a port, let's say 2215, and choose yes to "Allow Password Login". CONNECT --- MacOS or linux: connect by doing this in a...
rog-forum.asus.com
rog-forum.asus.com
Tonio007
Level 1
In response to MrSusa
Options

5 hours ago
You need to have telnet or ssh enabled. I used ssh.
So if not enabled, between 2 crashes of the router, enable SSH (in Administration / System). Choose LAN only, choose a port, let's say 2215, and choose yes to "Allow Password Login".

CONNECT
---
MacOS or linux:
connect by doing this in a terminal:
ssh admin@<your router IP> -p 2215
and type the admin account password when invited.

Windows
Download and use PuTTY sofware to connect to your router, specifying the IP and port, user (admin) and password.

DELETE THE FILE
---
Once connected, from the prompt: simply do:
rm /jffs/asd/chknvram20230516
and then type
exit
to close

Then, you can use the router's UI to reboot it. Or using the switch.
Have an older ASUS RT-AC66U, which has been solid for literally years, until it started acting up the past couple of days.
Currently running stock firmware v9.0.0.4.382_52503.

Just now, I couldn't get any devices to pull a DHCP IP.
A reboot resolved it, but only after a few minutes, saw this:

1684519716285.png

Then checked the logs and saw "failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)".
Searching that message brought me here.

I Telnet'd into the router and sent the commands as above (appears this file exists in the AC66U as well) and rebooted the router.

Been up for 20 minutes, and stats now look like this:

1684519778992.png

Many thanks!

Any update on an official fix from ASUS?

Have an older ASUS RT-AC66U, which has been solid for literally years, until it started acting up the past couple of days.

View attachment 50232

Then checked the logs and saw "failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)".

I Telnet'd into the router and sent the commands as above (appears this file exists in the AC66U as well) and rebooted the router.

View attachment 50233

Many thanks!

From what I saw. It's already fixed (?). Need others to chime in. I think it's just that some still have the problematic file. I think the newer one that it pulls after you removed the problematic file is fixed.

I think AIProtection etc uses the Trend Micro Signature files right? They have a different folder and the update can be triggered via WebGUI. Whereas asd one is automatic it seems like. Is there a way to force it to update the files? Probably not?

I didn't write it. :D
I know. Just letting you know that you are reposting an article that contains factually wrong information.

I'll try to get in touch with the author on Twitter about it.

Ryan Smith (from Anandtech) hit the nail on the head in his tweet yesterday.

Having same issues here, GMT+8 timezone....it got worst since the last 2 weeks.
Someone posted a fix for this, havent tried yet, and i dont know the proper steps to update

Attachments

• foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 23
The AX89X firmware download page for the US is blank. One can hope it's being updated with a stable FW version.

View attachment 50232

View attachment 50233

Many thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that I experienced the same issue this morning (May 19, 2023) when my laptop tried to get an IP Address from my Asus AC-1750 (which had the latest firmware since 2021 - 9.0.0.4.382_52503_.

I rebooted the router and was able to get an IP Address. Note that I had 2 phones where they had IP addresses already assigned and these were fully functional. Only obtaining a new IP Address would fail.

I had the same error in my log as you "May 19 19:51:32 dnsmasq-dhcp[640]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)".

I also never had AI Protect (my router never had that feature).

Maybe, but it's not blank here.

You said the US, correct?

Yes. This is what comes up for me using search or a bookmark.
Likely just a website bug. Went there once and it went to the blank page, went back in again and it was showing the Oct firmware update. That updated beta that was shared today would probably need to go through some validation steps even if it is done that would take a bit.
And since they have fixed the borked security update, I doubt they are doing anything more to speed the new firmware update along.

Likely just a website bug. Went there once and it went to the blank page, went back in again and it was showing the Oct firmware update. That updated beta that was shared today would probably need to go through some validation steps even if it is done that would take a bit.
And since they have fixed the borked security update, I doubt they are doing anything more to speed the new firmware update along.
Possibly. Not a big deal, but thanks for checking. I tried with 4 different browsers and could not get the firmware page to come up. When I click on BIOS & Firmware it always went to the blank page I posted above. I'm good for now so I'll just wait for that page to sort itself out. I'm sure I'll hear about it here if anything new comes up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online