What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So any AX89X owner have WAN Aggregation? I read on Dong's review someone had gotten ahold of a beta firmware with WAN Aggregation?.... does it work without errors?

I do. Contact support and they can send you a temporary firmware. You will have to tell them what ports you want WAN aggregation enabled on as there is no GUI yet. I am not sure if today's public release has WAN aggregation, i do not want to update my firmware until that is confirmed.

I do. Contact support and they can send you a temporary firmware. You will have to tell them what ports you want WAN aggregation enabled on as there is no GUI yet. I am not sure if today's public release has WAN aggregation, i do not want to update my firmware until that is confirmed.

I don't see any mention of WAN aggregation in the most recent firmware update.

I sent an e-mail to ASUS support through their support site portal. I got a canned "AX89X doesn't support WAN aggregation, sorry" response. Any tips to get this firmware?

I looked at the AX89X SFP+ QVL list on ASUS's website and it was rather short... My ISP is providing me with a fiber SFP ONT at a not-so-standard 2.5Gb speed and I'm hoping that in the future it will be possible to replace my ISP's provided router with the RT-AX89X.
RMerlin might be familiar with Bell Canada's fiber network. It's possible to replace the provided modem(hh3k) with your own but the non-standard SFP ONT only work in some Microtik hardware or some dedicated NIC. Most of the time you actually have to hack the firmware for your NIC to recognise the ONT so that's definetly not a friendly or easy thing to do. More info here.

For info, it's possible to get 1.5Gb-down/1Gb-up for 95$ a month, it's barelly more than 1Gb or even 500Mb. The provided router (HH3K) isn't bad, it just does not have the customisations and versatility that "prosumers" would want.

Thinking of buying the RT-AX89X to replace my Netgear RAX200, purely to get OpenVPN running. Anyone know what kind of speeds I can expect over OpenVPN protocol on this beast?
Cheers

@psychopomp1 in the 200 to 300 Mbps range depending on your ISP speeds and the remote server you connect to.

@psychopomp1 in the 200 to 300 Mbps range depending on your ISP speeds and the remote server you connect to.
Thanks. I'm on a 330/50 Mbps connection so hopefully I should get close to isp speeds assuming there's no slowdowns on the VPN server - I'll be using OpenVPN's own VPN service, Private Tunnel.

Btw anyone know where to buy the AX89X in US/UK/EU? It seems to be out of stock everywhere, and no I ain't paying the silly eBay prices of $500+ lol

Cheers

Btw anyone know where to buy the AX89X in US/UK/EU? It seems to be out of stock everywhere, and no I ain't paying the silly eBay prices of $500+ lol

Cheers

Before the Covid crisis Asus France told me the router should be released in June.
I’m checking on amazon.fr every week but it’s not referenced.

@rjih you're right. The RT-AX89X isn't needed, but that is what was asked for. :)

The RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, and a few others also have AES-NI OpenVPN acceleration available too. RMerlin made a post of the complete list, sorry I can't search for you right now. :)

Thanks, reason for choosing the AX89 over the AX88 is the faster CPU, Qualcomm 2.2ghz quadcore v Broadcomm 1.8ghz quadcore. Of course the BCM 1.8ghz processor is still very powerful but when you're spending $100s on a new router you might as well pay slightly more and get the more powerful one.

Re: "AES-NI OpenVPN acceleration" is this also available on the AX89? If not, I guess its only available on Merlin fw supported routers which the AX89 isn't? Will the AX89 ever get supported by Merlin?

Cheers

The RT-AX89X won't get RMerlin support, afaik (ever).

The AES-NI VPN acceleration is not firmware dependant, it is a hardware chip which the 'AX89X has. :)

Re: "AES-NI OpenVPN acceleration" is this also available on the AX89?

Someone with one would have to check the CPU Features from

Code:
 cat /proc/cpuinfo

If it lists "aes" on the Features line, then it has AES acceleration.

processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 23.66
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : Generic DT based system

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!