What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micro Center in the US or CA is your best bet. They keep getting it in and out of stock but if you check every couple days you will be able to get one for in store pick up. I live near Chicago and got mine a week ago.

I would not recommend this router though - I upgraded from AX88U that I’ve been using for 7-8 months now and the 89X is a big disappointment. Has a loud and extremely annoying fan in it that starts spinning crazy from the moment you turn on the router. Also issues with coverage on the 5GHZ network - my Apple TV 4K can’t stay connected to the network during streams where with the 88U I never had problems, issues with iPhone having trouble staying connected to the 5GHZ network as well and less coverage on the 2.4ghz network. Also doesn’t support WPA3 as of fight now.

The AX88U is 100 buck cheaper with the same available features In the firmware minus the 10gig ports but better performer and coverage and no annoying fan!
I just got my unit from B&H Photo, after waiting 2 months.
They indicated that they expected more units in shortly
if you use PayBoo (B&H Store Card) they will discount price to cover tax

Ten days now since mine rebooted on its own. Perhaps updating the firmware, doing a factory reset, and reloading the settings file is what fixed it.
I just got my system, and it did some really strange things during configuration
after loading the updated firmware it reset and I had to go through the router configuration, it did however retain the settings.
I also noticed that moving around the menus during the configuration and it was very choppy going for instant response to a 10 second response
The speedtest.net was appalling, so i did a reboot, and had to go through the router configuration, after which speedtest actual gave results aligned with my plan.
I tried to connect my old GT-AC5300 as a mesh node, it had to use wireless rather than wired backhaul, which is a pain.
The system seemed to not recover from mesh search, and required a reboot.
Moved GT-AC5300 to its location and connected the node to Ethernet.
I noticed that the GT-AC5300 did not have any devices connected to it, everything was connected to the RT-AX89X, it had to enable the smart connect mode which has fixed where the nodes connect, though there seems to be some strange issues in where the nodes connect.

what was interesting was that after enabling smart connect i was not able to set 160Mhz channel width on 5GHz band, or any other parameters.
fortunately looking at the connect speeds of my iPhone 11 Max Pro, it was 1200Mbps TX, which was the same as I had prior to configuring the AI Mesh.

One last note, i have connected the 10G Ethernet port to a 10GB switch which connects to the GT-AC5300, NAS and a couple of wired devices, works as advertised

So at the moment everything is working as expected, it just took a lot longer than i expected.

Sorry for the rambling response, just trying to get it all down whilst it was fresh in my mind.

Now waiting for the formal release of AiMesh 2.0 386 release branch, which I read should allow the second 5GHz band on the GT-AC5300 to be part of the mesh network.

It's available now on Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon). It has not gone out of stock in the past two days.

Contemplating AX89X vs. Unifi Dream Machine and two UniFi NanoHD units. Not happy with the Netgear RAX200.

Last edited:
To those using OpenVPN on the RT-AX89X, what sort of OpenVPN speeds are you getting?
Cheers

So in the Netgear RAX200's settings, there's one that's enabled:

- Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4GHz or 5GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Is there an equivalent setting in the AX89X?

So in the Netgear RAX200's settings, there's one that's enabled:

- Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4GHz or 5GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Is there an equivalent setting in the AX89X?

Yes. Under advanced settings - wireless, it’s the first option.

New issue. I've added all my devices to the "Manually Assigned IP" list in the "DHCP Server" tab.

However, when I go to "Network Map" then "View List" under Clients, one of the devices I added to the manually assigned IP list (that I know is on and working) does not appear in the list of clients. It's a Netgear GS108PE that I have some Ubiquiti access points running through. When I connect to those access points with my iPhone, iPad, Nintendo Switch, etc. they're all able to get online.

When I go to the "System Status" tab in "Network Map", the port I have the GS108PE connected to does show a device plugged into it (LAN4), but it's only connected at 100Mbps even though it is a gigabit switch...

@Synomenon
How are you finding the wifi range on the AX89 versus the RAX200? I also have the RAX200 and have the AX89X on order from Amazon, primarily to get OpenVPN working.
Cheers

@Synomenon
How are you finding the wifi range on the AX89 versus the RAX200? I also have the RAX200 and have the AX89X on order from Amazon, primarily to get OpenVPN working.
Cheers

I haven't had time yet to do that kind of testing. Still trying to figure out this issue with the Netgear switch not showing up as a connected device.

Thinking of replacing my AX88 with this, but the main question is if I will gain any performance by going 10G?
Will use 10G for computer and 2 Qnap nas TVS-672XT so I also have to get a 10G switch for my 2 Qnaps.

I run 7200 rpm discs in both nas, Seagate ironwolf pro 6x16TB and 6x10TB discs. Both Qnaps also got ssd
cache, 2xSamsung 970 SSD 512GB M2 drives in each nas.

Thinking of replacing my AX88 with this, but the main question is if I will gain any performance by going 10G?
Will use 10G for computer and 2 Qnap nas TVS-672XT so I also have to get a 10G switch for my 2 Qnaps.

I run 7200 rpm discs in both nas, Seagate ironwolf pro 6x16TB and 6x10TB discs. Both Qnaps also got ssd

You will gain performance but lose reliability. I bought this for working from home to increase reliability over my AC68u mesh network dropping every 3 hours. After a fresh reset and firmware upgrade (to current public and also beta), I get a dropped connection every 5-15 minutes. This router is not ready for prime time. Unacceptable at this price point. I previously worked with Taiwanese software developers while living in Taiwan (am Taiwanese) and should have taken a lesson from that experience...their best developers are garbage. Who knows how long this will take to fix? Dongknow's 9.0 rating almost seems like it was paid at this point.

You will gain performance but lose reliability. I bought this for working from home to increase reliability over my AC68u mesh network dropping every 3 hours. After a fresh reset and firmware upgrade (to current public and also beta), I get a dropped connection every 5-15 minutes. This router is not ready for prime time. Unacceptable at this price point. I previously worked with Taiwanese software developers while living in Taiwan (am Taiwanese) and should have taken a lesson from that experience...their best developers are garbage. Who knows how long this will take to fix? Dongknow's 9.0 rating almost seems like it was paid at this point.
You have a faulty unit. I haven't experienced any random dropped connection.

Yes, you should definitely see some improvement between the 10G nodes.

Ok, aside from the client list not showing a device I have a reserved IP for, I'm noticing that my iPhone 11 Pro Max's (two in the house) are not automatically connecting to the AX89X even though in their settings they are set to auto-join it. They keep connecting to my Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC Pros instead.

We're in a three story house. AX89X is on the third floor then a Ubiquiti AUP AC Pro. on the second floor and first floor.

When I had the Netgear RAX200, the iPhones would always connect to it automatically over the UAP AC Pros...

Anyone know what would cause this? A setting in the AX89X?

Just received my RT-AX89X. On first impressions, the wifi range isn't quite as good as my Netgear RAX200.

Just received my RT-AX89X. On first impressions, the wifi range isn't quite as good as my Netgear RAX200.

I'm noticing that now too. Also, I'm not sure what setting might be causing it or if it's because the wifi chipset on the iPhone is "more compatible" with it, but with my RAX200, the iPhone would always auto-connect to its 5GHz network once I got to a certain point upstairs. With the AX89X, the iPhone never connects to it automatically, instead keeping its connection to the Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro on the lower level of the house.

So I have that issue along with the not-fully functioning client list on the AX89X.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online