What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just got an email from Amazon that said the 89x was in stock. I checked and you can order it but there’s a one to two month delay in shipping it out. I’m just going to put it on my Xmas list it should be available by then.

I just got an email from Amazon that said the 89x was in stock. I checked and you can order it but there’s a one to two month delay in shipping it out. I’m just going to put it on my Xmas list it should be available by then.
The good news is the price : "Only" 449 USD. :)

Not proven to be the best yet. :)

Maybe by Christmas. :)

This is true but I’m quite confident that after reading Dong’s review of it it’s the right choice for what I want to do. The fact you have to rob a bank to buy it is troubling, it’s a long way from the $159 I paid for my 58U.

I went ahead and ordered mine. However, I am going to be checking daily to see when it becomes available for order. I went through this with the Netgear Orbi Wifi 6 router. Amazon had it listed like this for weeks where the availability kept getting pushed back... but somehow, Best Buy ended up getting the Orbi in stock weeks ahead of Amazon. (I ended up returning that piece of junk. So glad I did so I could wait for this ASUS beast instead.)

I don't think it we'll be waiting until Xmas. It'll probably happen early April (fingers crossed.)

Delivery according to Amazon: between March 27-April 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now available on EBay (via Newegg), on Amazon and Newegg’s website.

Price: $449.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not wait for Wave 2 Wifi 6E routers with 6Ghz support? AX89X is outdated already with broadcom announcing 6E chip. I bet Maylyn and Merlin have their hands on next model already.

From Dong Know Tech article last month about Wifi 6E:

Wi-Fi 6E won’t be available until mid-2020 at the earliest. In many cases, existing Wi-Fi 6 routers and even some clients will be able to support it via firmware and driver updates. Asus, for example, told me that it’d release firmware supporting Wi-Fi 6E for most of its routers, at least in beta, before the year is out.

https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-6-explained/#So_how_fast_is_Wi-Fi_6

Will be interesting if this actually happens. Similar claims about upgrading routers from draft to final wifi standards have been made many times in the past.

Enabling 6E on existing routers is highly doubtful. Front end hardware components (RF amplifiers, switches) have to change, as does baseband processing.

I will verify this with my ASUS source.

Enabling 6E on existing routers is highly doubtful. Front end hardware components (RF amplifiers, switches) have to change, as does baseband processing.

Actually, it might be possible for models that use the BCM6755. From what I've read on Broadcom's specs sheet, most of the hardware is integrated into the SoC itself (including the amps), and BCM already advertises it as Wifi 6E-ready. I just wonder however if an antenna attuned for 5 GHz would be "close enough" to efficiently handle the 6 GHz band as well.

Even if that's possible, it's a lot different than "most" 6E ASUS routers.

Agreed. In Asus's case, this would cover the AX56/AX58/AX89. It would leave the AX88U, AX11000 and AX92U out however, unless the hardware is programmable enough to handle it.

In any case, as usual: if it's not available now, then assume it will never be available, UNLESS it actually happens and has been proven to work. Don't we all remember the MU-MIMO fiasco of Quantenna and Broadcom...

Agreed. In Asus's case, this would cover the AX56/AX58/AX89. It would leave the AX88U, AX11000 and AX92U out however, unless the hardware is programmable enough to handle it.

In any case, as usual: if it's not available now, then assume it will never be available, UNLESS it actually happens and has been proven to work. Don't we all remember the MU-MIMO fiasco of Quantenna and Broadcom...
So just to confirm, there will be no Merlin firmware for this router because of the chipset? I’m still pretty excited to get it.. but that is kind of a bummer.

So just to confirm, there will be no Merlin firmware for this router because of the chipset? I’m still pretty excited to get it.. but that is kind of a bummer.

He’s answered it more than once. No and it’s the reason I’m not buying it, no Merlin support for it. Keep us updated on it, looks like quite the router.

So just to confirm, there will be no Merlin firmware for this router because of the chipset?

I no longer comment on what will and what will not be supported, sorry.

This is the quote from Dong in his Wifi6E article
NNd0eqZ.png

So there is a strong chance that Asus might release Wifi6E support beta update for RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 which are the most popular Wifi6 routers at the moment

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!