What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to ASUS RT-AX89X family soon :p :D Long overdue :confused:

3Xa9jz3.png

So there is a strong chance that Asus might release Wifi6E support beta update for RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 which are the most popular Wifi6 routers at the moment
I addressed this in my post above. I am checking with ASUS.

Don't we all remember the MU-MIMO fiasco of Quantenna and Broadcom...
If by that you mean that it took a new version of the radio SoC to provide working MU-MIMO, then yes.

I think a similar thing is happening again. I'm seeing vendors enable UL/DL OFDMA on routers with the newer BRCM chipset than the original. They say they'll also enable it on older products, but I'll believe when it happens.

Any possibility that this router will be supported by OpenWrt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting device, the 10Gbps ports are a game changer for those with NAS/switches that can utilize them. Hopefully this becomes the new standard for devices moving forward as its long overdue. Now to see if I can get my hands on one :p

Any possibility that this router will be supported by OpenWrt?

I read a post on OpenWRT forums saying it may be closer towards the end of the year as best guess, in regards to the IPQ807X/ATH11K (pretty much the same hardware in the RAX120 and now AX89X). I wouldn’t expect it to be very stable upon initial release, even the QCA radios used in the R7800 took like a full year to get stable.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/802-11ax-routers/10484/21 (Post #20)

Last edited:
Yes, these are CAT 7 LAN cables.

5C7y0gS.jpg

There are even CAT 8 ones too.

vP4yp0u.jpg

In your case, it should able to suffice if only covering short distances ;)

In case you are wondering what switches i'm using.

I'm using the QNAP QSW-1208-8C non-managed 10G Ethernet/SFP+ switch with multiple based-T support currently which i still have those smart/managed switches tho.

8Tojw3y.jpg
When the company was certified for cat6/6A by Nexan we was told the cat7/7A needed GG45 to be proper. Then cat7 with regular RJ45 started popping up... I use 2 Supra "cat7+" with "special" RJ45 but that was for the nice shielding, looks and sturdiness of the cables. Not that I really needed them And now I see cat8 still with the same RJ45... Interesting.

This thing is a beast! The biggest box I've ever received a router in. You can fit all the antennas around your head LOL ;)

Item is back in stock at NewEgg, by the way.

View attachment 22001

You received it already? That is quick! Please share your experiences whenever you can.

Looks like this release is limited to America. Spoke to my local contact at Asus and due to the impact of COVID-19 we are "still a long way" from a complete international release.

Actually, it might be possible for models that use the BCM6755. From what I've read on Broadcom's specs sheet, most of the hardware is integrated into the SoC itself (including the amps), and BCM already advertises it as Wifi 6E-ready. I just wonder however if an antenna attuned for 5 GHz would be "close enough" to efficiently handle the 6 GHz band as well.

Agreed. In Asus's case, this would cover the AX56/AX58/AX89. It would leave the AX88U, AX11000 and AX92U out however, unless the hardware is programmable enough to handle it.

Does the Ax89X use Qualcomm radios? It's listed as having QCN5054 and QCN5024 on the techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com page. If that's accurate, do Qualcomm solutions makes firmware updates to Wifi 6E more feasible.

I just ordered an RT-AX89X from Newegg -- should be here by the weekend. I've been trying out an RT-AX88U but my NAS and media center are both on SFP+ so I really wanted to have that connection on the router itself. Very few choices in routers with SFP+ and the bonus of also having 10GBase-T for expansion down the road is great.

EDIT: And I think I got the last one! It's showing out of stock now.

Last edited:
Dong Knows has revised his comment that Asus told him Wifi 6 routers would be updated to 6E via firmware. The previous statement has a strikethrough and an update added:

Update: Initially, Asus told me in early 2020 that it was planning to upgrade some of its existing routers to Wi-Fi 6E but soon later walked that notion back. So the information on the hardware requirements is still sketchy.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!