What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the 10GTEK tranceiver - isn't that great - i'm capping out at 300Mbps - not sure if its the tranceiver or something else in the path. Wound be curious to see what speeds you get with yours.
I have a old 10GTEK tranceiver the download seems fine. Upload is where it struggles for me.

I currently have an RT-AC5300. Can I use it as mesh node to the new RT-AX89X?

Last edited:
Yes. Do a full reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox. Do not touch it after it reboots.

From the GUI of the RT-AX89X, 'point' to it as an AiMesh node and it should be set up automatically for you. After it is working like this for a few minutes, I suggest rebooting both the node and the main router (separately, node first) for the most stable operation.

I got the two routers from Newegg! I contacted ASUS support - they were absolutely horrible in terms of support. They had me flip the configuration where I had the primary AP as the node and the node as the AP - that didn't work. I also tried Router + AIMesh Node - same problem - looks like their current firmware doesn't support the AIMesh Node if it is connected through the 10G port. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting the two AX-89X if I can't do a 10G wired backhaul.
I think you have to admit this is a real edge case. Not many people are going to have 10G wired backhaul. I'm sure they'll sort it out in time.

I am more interested in the wifi AX-6E upgrade, once they can confirm it then I probably will back order one. Is this one better or the AX11000? this one looks great to me. but I love the tri-band

I have two PCs with AX200 and 89x can't establish a 2.4Gbps connection. Rarely goes up to 1.2Mbps but most of the time just it does 649Mbps. I'm just 10ft away from the router. Any ideas? (I already disabled NSS as per Dong)

Last edited:
I have two PCs with AX200 and 89x can't establish a 2.4Gbps connection.

Have you activated the 160 MHz on the router, necessary for the 2.4 gbps speed?

Rarely goes up to 1.2Mbps but most of the time just it does 649Mbps. I'm just 10ft away from the router. Any ideas? (I already disabled NSS as per Dong)

I have the same problem with the netgear rax120 (which with asus rt-ax89x shares almost the same hardware platform)

Last edited:
Have you activated the 160 MHz on the router, necessary for the 2.4 gbps speed?

I have the same problem with the netgear rax120 (which with asus rt-ax89x shares almost the same hardware platform)

I even tried 160MHz only :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I can get a speed of 2.4 gbps with my intel ax200 connected to RAX120, but the speed and intensity of the signal indicated by the pc are fluctuating.

Have you enabled uapsd on your ax200? Without that enabled it limits the card to 80mhz bandwidth

\
Have you enabled uapsd on your ax200? Without that enabled it limits the card to 80mhz bandwidth

That’s highly unlikely, U-APSD is a power save feature, it wouldn't make sense for link width to drop by disabling it plus the way it works has nothing to do with HT160 working. I have it disabled (driver default) on my Ax200 upgraded laptops; Dell 7577, XPS 9350, Latitude 7450 connect just fine at 2.4 Gbps link rate.

UAPSD was usually disabled because of connectivity/speed issues during the time the Intel 7260ac came out. Some APs apparently did not play well with it on apparently. I faced connectivity issues with it on in an older laptop with a 7260ac around 2014 if I recall when it was on by default. It's as far as I've seen disabled by default in most Intel driver updates I've seen since that period. It may be better now as most of the older routers are not as common anymore.

Last edited:
That's cool.
I've never had a better link than 866mb without it when connecting to ax routers though.

I have one AX device - an iPhone 11 Pro Max - and it also hasn't connected at 2.4 Gbps with 160 Mhz channels enabled and the Extended NSS setting disabled. The max connection rate the iPhone 11 gets is 1.2 Gbps. The phone is on iOS 13.0 - I don't know if that's a factor. With 160 Mhz channel turned on, the router stops reporting the Tx and Rx rates for wireless devices (visible when you view the list of connected clients). 160 Mhz channel also seems to reduce the connection speed and stability of other 802.11ac devices. I'm leaving 160 Mhz channels off until it gets more stable. There's only one device that could take advantage of it right now [update: the iPhone 11 wifi doesn't support 160 Mhz band] and it's gets 400-500 Mbps download and upload speeds on 802.11ac, which is fast enough for me.

Another bug - in another post, I reported some devices waking up from sleeping connected to wifi but not having any internet access. I've since had devices lose internet access as they are actively online, not just when coming out of sleep. Just to be clear - the wifi connection is not lost or dropped - the wifi connection remains but the device can't get online anymore. This has happened twice this week as I was working from home through Citrix. The Windows 10 desktop runs on the 802.11ac wifi built into its Asus motherboard. Toggling the wifi off and on restores the connection. I am also pretty sure an iMac also lost its 5 Ghz connection - the primary band for the iMac is 802.11ac/5 Ghz band but noticed it had connected to the much slower secondary 802.11n/2.4 Ghz band. I assume the iMac lost the 5 Ghz connection at some point and recovered by connecting to the 2.4 Ghz band.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!