What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm noticing that now too. Also, I'm not sure what setting might be causing it or if it's because the wifi chipset on the iPhone is "more compatible" with it, but with my RAX200, the iPhone would always auto-connect to its 5GHz network once I got to a certain point upstairs. With the AX89X, the iPhone never connects to it automatically, instead keeping its connection to the Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro on the lower level of the house.

So I have that issue along with the not-fully functioning client list on the AX89X.
The difference in wifi performance will be down to the different wifi radios/chipsets used in the AX89X. It uses QCA radios whereas the RAX200 uses Broadcom radios. Anyway I've gone back to using the RAX200, as I'm not willing to accept worse wifi performance in exchange for using the OpenVPN client. But I will keep the AX89X for a while as a backup router, once Asus upgrade the firmware with better QCA wireless drivers then maybe the AX89X might perform better/on a par with the RAX200.

The difference in wifi performance will be down to the different wifi radios/chipsets used in the AX89X. It uses QCA radios whereas the RAX200 uses Broadcom radios. Anyway I've gone back to using the RAX200, as I'm not willing to accept worse wifi performance in exchange for using the OpenVPN client. But I will keep the AX89X for a while as a backup router, once Asus upgrade the firmware with better QCA wireless drivers then maybe the AX89X might perform better/on a par with the RAX200.
Ah maybe it's the chipsets. I believe Broadcom is Apple's supplier for wifi/BT chipsets for iPhones and iPads.

Yep certain combinations of client/router chipsets can also cause issues. FWIW none of our iPhones ( X & XS) had any issues with the AX89X - its just that wifi speeds using the RAX200 were better overall, ie affecting all clients.

The router is garbage. Nothing but crashing. It's a shame I have to go back to my AC68u for reliability (and dropped connections w/ AiMesh).
Yeah there's something wrong with yours if you're having this many problems with it...

Yeah there's something wrong with yours if you're having this many problems with it...

Full resets, tried beta + stable firmwares, and all non-legacy settings disabled. Asus customer service is also a nightmare and exercise in patience, asking for the same stuff + more in following emails. Hopefully I can report back and back pedal these statements some day.

Full resets, tried beta + stable firmwares, and all non-legacy settings disabled. Asus customer service is also a nightmare and exercise in patience, asking for the same stuff + more in following emails. Hopefully I can report back and back pedal these statements some day.
Have you tried getting it exchanged by the place you purchased it from?

Like a couple of us have mentioned; you might possibly have a bad unit. All that stuff you've tried might not fix anything if the unit has a defective component...

Have you tried getting it exchanged by the place you purchased it from?

Like a couple of us have mentioned; you might possibly have a bad unit. All that stuff you've tried might not fix anything if the unit has a defective component...

The router was great for the first month, which is the only period which B&H Photo accepts returns. Thanks for trying to help though.

Hi all, I've had the AX89X since April, with relatively no problems. I currently have about 30 devices connected to wifi and several more thru ethernet. Over the past week, I keep getting reboots. Sometimes several in a row. I hear a click from the router, then all lights go out and reboots. Any ideas on how I can figure out what's causing this? I've tried to narrow down what it could be, but can't figure this out. Thanks.

Did you update your firmware to the latest?

yes. Updated in July.

yesterday I did notice my CPU cores were fluctuating back and forth to 100%. And the 89x rebooted about 4x in a row at that time. I’ll have to see today if it happens again what the cores are running at.

Last edited:
well, it's been stable so far today but I just turned on my TiVo for Fios and my CPU cores are jumping all over the place. I'm assuming the router will reboot soon. Maybe overheating? Why would TiVo cause such a problem? any help would be appreciated.

so I checked the logs and im getting hundreds of this error. Anyone have any help solving this for a newb?

"kernel: [15438.222481] tntfs error (device sda2, pid 4446): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5)"

you know what? all day I've been thinking its my TiVo hard drive but now that you say storage device, maybe its one of my 2 external drives causing the issue? I'll unplug both of them for a few days and see if that helps. Wondering why either of them would be a problem after a few months. They've been connected since day 1.

The mention of NTFS / a storage file system kind of tipped it off to being related to a storage device.

Thank you Synomenon!! I unmounted both external hard drives and instantly no errors or high CPU core usage. I had tunnel vision of it being my 2TB TiVo because of that storage and the fact that I just got it 2 weeks ago and started having problems this past week.

So now I'll play with the hard drives next weekend and see if I can mount again without issues. Kids schools starting tomorrow and wife works from home so can't mess with internet till then. You're awesome brother!

I had to send mine in for RMA. One night it started rebooting every ~5 minutes. RMA status shows I will be getting a replacement.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!