What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At this point you might as well save up for a BCM chip based 6E router. The ROG RAPTURE GT-AXE11000 looks like it will be a good one.

Tbh, if Asus can't get a $450 router right in 2020 then I don't want to buy Asus anymore. Sure they fixed the problem, but if you've worked with Asus customer service you'd know it feels like 2005. Sifting through a non-rich text email with no use of images (meaning the same disclaimer in normal sized text every single time) and giving them the same information typed out in the email, THEN in a word document, THEN being asked it again at the end...they've already used up the remainder of the sanity leftover after work at the end of the day.

AND just being infuriated when they asked me 3 emails in if I've initialized my router. I suppose some baller non tech saavy people could end up buying a $450 consumer grade router but that question is grasping at straws while triggering 99% of their customer base...

Sent mine in for RMA and I will be getting a refund.

did you ask for a refund? Was there a choice? I just put in for an RMA. Will be sending mine in as soon as I get the email instructions. I would rather get refund at this point Since I already replaced with a ubiquity network cause of all the reboots.

Tbh, if Asus can't get a $450 router right in 2020 then I don't want to buy Asus anymore. Sure they fixed the problem, but if you've worked with Asus customer service you'd know it feels like 2005. Sifting through a non-rich text email with no use of images (meaning the same disclaimer in normal sized text every single time) and giving them the same information typed out in the email, THEN in a word document, THEN being asked it again at the end...they've already used up the remainder of the sanity leftover after work at the end of the day.

AND just being infuriated when they asked me 3 emails in if I've initialized my router. I suppose some baller non tech saavy people could end up buying a $450 consumer grade router but that question is grasping at straws while triggering 99% of their customer base...
I've never had to call Asus tech support because I've never had major issues causing auto rebooting, lock ups, etc. that weren't solved with a full reset, firmware update or simple configuration setting change... that I usually found out about in this forum. I've never had an Asus router go bad... not one... and I've owned a lot of them. Starting with the N66U all my Asus routers have been based on BCM chips. They have set the standard for wireless for a long time. The last non-BCM chip router I owned was the Netgear N600/WNDR3700 and it was good in its day but even before that I owned various BCM based Linksys routers going back to the first BCM versions of the Linksys WRT54G. I'm not against non-BCM routers. I've just noticed that through the years the others always seemed to require more debugging, firmware updates, hardware revisions, etc..

Last edited:
did you ask for a refund? Was there a choice? I just put in for an RMA. Will be sending mine in as soon as I get the email instructions. I would rather get refund at this point Since I already replaced with a ubiquity network cause of all the reboots.

I did not ask for a refund nor was I offered a choice. It sounded like they saw something in the logs that was concerning and offered a refund right away.

I've never had to call Asus tech support and I've never had major issues causing auto rebooting, lock ups, etc. that weren't solved with a firmware update or simple temporary configuration setting change. Starting with the N66U all my Asus routers have been based on BCM chips. They have set the standard for wireless for a long time. The last non-BCM chip router I owned was the Netgear N600/WNDR3700 and it was good in its day but even before that it was various BCM based Linksys routers going back to the WRT54G.

This reason is why I went with Asus. I just want something that can give 5G coverage to my entire home, did not know that I am asking too much. The AX89X 5G didn't cover my entire house anyway so I fell back to my 2x AC68u's with AiMesh (that disconnects every 30-120 minutes and can't roam, still MAJOR props to bringing new tech with a firmware upgrade) but was also looking at that Netgear Star Wars router before going with the AX89X...

I did not ask for a refund nor was I offered a choice. It sounded like they saw something in the logs that was concerning and offered a refund right away.

This reason is why I went with Asus. I just want something that can give 5G coverage to my entire home, did not know that I am asking too much. The AX89X 5G didn't cover my entire house anyway so I fell back to my 2x AC68u's with AiMesh (that disconnects every 30-120 minutes and can't roam, still MAJOR props to bringing new tech with a firmware upgrade) but was also looking at that Netgear Star Wars router before going with the AX89X...
I just replaced all my AC68P's (BB version of the AC68U with new AX86Us. The AC68P/U series isn't a bad router. It just doesn't have very good Wifi range for today's standards and if you are running AiMesh and/or other enabled extra features with those older and slower BCM chipsets you are probably going run into issues. This is just an opinion but it seems as though Asus has tried to add more and more features into the firmware for those older routers and the older chips are under-powered. However the newer quad core 1.8 Ghz BCM chips are a beast and the newer BCM chip based radios offer a huge improvement in range. I know because I just upgraded all my main routers this past month (to all new RT-AX86Us) and the difference in range, speed, stability and performance is night and day.

Last edited:

The status message for my RMA on the website says: "Thanks for your inquiry! Service center has arranged to exchange your device."

I haven't received any other communication yet. How were you notified you were getting refunded?

Welp, I received my offer today, and it was not for a refund. Due to a "parts shortage" and unavailability of a replacement RT-AX89X, they are offering to send me an RT-AX92U twin pack. I don't think that's a very good trade?

Welp, I received my offer today, and it was not for a refund. Due to a "parts shortage" and unavailability of a replacement RT-AX89X, they are offering to send me an RT-AX92U twin pack. I don't think that's a very good trade?

A BIG F THAT!!!!!! Worst alternative I could imagine and I hope I fair better when they receive mine!!!!

A BIG F THAT!!!!!! Worst alternative I could imagine and I hope I fair better when they receive mine!!!!
Yep, I refused and requested a refund while sending a copy of my invoice from Newegg. I'll keep you posted!

Still no offer for a refund, but they did ask if there were any other models I would accept. We agreed to the GT-AX11000. I know there's no 10G but I need a good router since I'm working from home full-time now and this one has pretty good specs. The additional 5 GHz band will be nice and the firmware is fairly mature now.

I'm having a similar experience. I purchased my AX89X back in June. No issues until perhaps early September. Every now and then, particularly when I turn on a computer, the router will reboot. I have done a factory reset -> firmware upgrade already. Still no success. I noticed now that I can induce a reboot by checking if there's a signature update.

Wow... router rebooted as I was typing this message. We're on 5+ reboots just today.

The correct process is flash the latest firmware, then do a full reset to factory defaults, then do a minimal and manual configuration (M&M Config, see the link in my signature below).

To fully reset the router and network, the link below may be useful too.

The correct process is flash the latest firmware, then do a full reset to factory defaults, then do a minimal and manual configuration (M&M Config, see the link in my signature below).

To fully reset the router and network, the link below may be useful too.

Thanks. I will follow these instructions and report back.

Good luck. When mine was in a reboot loop, it would not stay online long enough to re-flash the firmware.

So, I just got an email this morning saying "we are unable to complete the repair of your RMA and will be reaching out to you shortly to confirm the replacement of your unit".

Now I'll wait to see if they'll replace with new unit, refurbished unit, or something totally different like starrbuck above. The problem is, It was so bad that it was causing major issues with my wife's job working from home, and my kids schoolwork that I had to replace this unit with a Unifi system, so a different product kinda does me no good. At least another 89x I could sell on Ebay and recoup my money....

but in more supply. Who would pay close to that from me, when they can buy it from amazon with 60 days to return? Plus Ebay fees etc. Will wait and see what their plans are before I speculate more....

All good points. You might be better off waiting for the parts to repair the 89X. They offered me that but I am on my backup router and chose the replacement model.

Which UniFi system did you get?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!