What's new

RT-AX92U 3.0.0.4.384_9177-gbe0ac36 , possible slower internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HKcow

Regular Contributor
Just updated my 2x RT-AX92U and found that the internet downstream seems to run slower.

I have a 1Gb internet link and the downstream, tested by using a wired PC through speedtest.net with local server, degraded to around 600-700 mbps. I recalled that around 2-3 months ago I was able to reaching 900+ mbps. Though the upstream can still keep at 900+ mbps.

I noticed that the CPU core1 usage reached 95-100 when during the test, it seems the speed is now limited by the router instead of the ISP. I tried to turn off QoS, AiProtection etc but the result is near the same. I think the unit has a strong CPU that should not be saturated by a single high speed connection (I can expect it reachs 100% if using 100+ connection but just a single??) ?

It seems to be the web history log. I don't recall this impact the performance in old firmware but in the new firmware, turning it off improve the downstream to around 800mbps. I will leave this as off at this moment.

I would suggest you revert one of your routers to the previous firmware version speed test your ISP and then upgrade again and see if indeed the update affected your ISP data rate through your router.

You can also connect a computer straight to your ISP modem just to get a baseline.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The speed keep degrading even the web history has been turned off. After 30 min the speed test degraded to around 400mbps (!!!). With a reboot the performance resumed but I wonder how long it can last for...

new finding in the system log:

May 21 09:56:39 kernel: thermal cooling_device2: Go to low frequency

Guess this is the reason...

interim conclusion:
so speedtest with 100% cpu load lead to overheat.. after rebooting router return to normal (waited 5 min with low cpu load the router still stick in low frequency mode)

when there is no overheating, with web history on it is about 600-650 mbps. with web history off it is about 750-800 mbps. Upload is always able to reach 900 mbps no matter the option is on / off.

Not that convenience to direct plug my pc to the ISP, may not able to conduct direct test for ISP baseline..

Maybe it seems worth to start a new thread discussing the router thermal connection.

In the web UI status I can see there is only one CPU core, and with some google I found that the router suppose to have 2 CPU cores and 1 core is stopped due to overheating. I then find that every time the router reboot it turns off CPU 1

(Time in log seems always incorrect everytime after reboot until it sync with NTP server)
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ8 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ9 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ28 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ29 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: IRQ30 no longer affine to CPU1
May 5 13:05:09 kernel: CPU1: shutdown

From the internet, I found we can use the following link to see the CPU temperature:

http://router.asus.com/ajax_coretmp.asp

and it returned ~ 108!

I am now looking for how to effectively cool down my router. I also want to check my node temperature later...

Keep posting my finding...

I used a small fan directly cooling the main router, when the cpu temperature dropped to around 96 I can see CPU1 is activated from the log. Eventually the cpu temperature is now stabilized at around 62. (from 108!!!)

Though there are 2 cpu cores running now (I can confirm it from the status, now showing utilization of both cores), the speed is similar. With web history on downstream is about 650 mbps while off it is about 800 mbps. I also noticed that when speed test is running only the core1 will reach 100% but there is no much load (< 5%) in core 2. I tried to run speed test from my mobile + PC but it still put all the load in one core only.

Question, I am unable to SSH to the node, how can I check the system log / cpu temperature of the AiMesh node?

If your router is running that hot while sitting in an open air (i.e. not in a closed area) then you should contact Asus's support. Could be a poorly seated heatsink inside it.

If your router is running that hot while sitting in an open air (i.e. not in a closed area) then you should contact Asus's support. Could be a poorly seated heatsink inside it.

It was my fault, I did put it in a semi open paper box for better installation with other devices. I did not notice that ventilation is required not only from top, but from the sides and bottoms as well. I am now putting it in open area and the temperature is stable at around 82 degree. (room temperature around 28 atm).

I also managed to open SSH on the node, it took a reboot to sync the SSH open from main to node after applying the setting. The node is running at around 85 degree and it is just fine as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!