What's new

RT-AX92u - New firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_41712

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did the dirty upgrade from 41535 yesterday, and so far I've at least had no more stackdumps in my logs. (I did get the "PSM watchdog" error twice, though.) Tentatively optimistic?

If it's stable for all my devices, I'm going to leave it alone. If I start dropping connections or having nodes go offline, I'll do a full wipe and reconfigure.

My devices get disconnected one/twice/three times daily using this firmware or the 40451 firmware. I have two RT-AX92u in an AI-mesh with wireless backhaul. I downgraded to 384.9177 and it seems much more stable.

Same here, but iPhones only (despite disbled private MAC adress), after binding to one of the nodes less problems (a joke, because what did I buy a mesh system for ...)

Same here, but iPhones only (despite disbled private MAC adress), after binding to one of the nodes less problems (a joke, because what did I buy a mesh system for ...)

Is your main router an AiMesh router broadcasting WiFi? What is the indoor level square foot area you are covering with WiFi?

OE

So even on the latest beta firmware I keep having the same issue with my AI Mesh, basically everything will be fine for a day or maybe 2 then devices will start randomly getting disconnected and unable to obtain an IP. This will then continue until the wireless doesn't work for any devices. At this point my next option will be to try the 384.9177 firmware and hope that finally things will start working properly.

So even on the latest beta firmware I keep having the same issue with my AI Mesh, basically everything will be fine for a day or maybe 2 then devices will start randomly getting disconnected and unable to obtain an IP. This will then continue until the wireless doesn't work for any devices. At this point my next option will be to try the 384.9177 firmware and hope that finally things will start working properly.

What is the indoor level square foot area you are covering with WiFi?

How far apart are your two nodes?

What band are clients having trouble on?

OE

I have 2x of the AX92U routers, they are connected with a wireless backhaul for the mesh. They are spaced about 15 feet apart on the 1 first floor of the house and the router says its a great signal. They are covering about 1900 sq ft and I have about 20ish wifi clients connected. I seems to mostly have issues with the 5Ghz-1 but it also happens on the 2.4Ghz. Basically after 1-2 days (sometimes even just a few hours) a device that is on wifi will just disconnect and fail to get a new IP address. Sometimes rebooting that device fixes it, other times it doesnt however it starts to kinda cascade where more and more devices stop connecting over the next few hours and eventually the whole wifi mesh craps out. A reboot resolves the issue and currently I have my router set to reboot every morning. Ive tried the most recent 3 firmwares and the beta firmware which I am currently on. Prior to setting up the mesh when I had just 1 router, things were working fine and my wireless was stable, it just was weak at a few spots in the house so I got the 2nd to switch to a mesh and hopefully have full coverage.

update: after updating the firmware I do a factory reset for both the main router and the node, then i get the main router configured so I can login to it, then add the mesh and finish the configuration. I have mostly default settings and only add a few things like some port forwarding stuff.

Last edited:
I have 2x of the AX92U routers, they are connected with a wireless backhaul for the mesh. They are spaced about 15 feet apart on the 1 first floor of the house and the router says its a great signal. They are covering about 1900 sq ft and I have about 20ish wifi clients connected. I seems to mostly have issues with the 5Ghz-1 but it also happens on the 2.4Ghz. Basically after 1-2 days (sometimes even just a few hours) a device that is on wifi will just disconnect and fail to get a new IP address. Sometimes rebooting that device fixes it, other times it doesnt however it starts to kinda cascade where more and more devices stop connecting over the next few hours and eventually the whole wifi mesh craps out. A reboot resolves the issue and currently I have my router set to reboot every morning. Ive tried the most recent 3 firmwares and the beta firmware which I am currently on. Prior to setting up the mesh when I had just 1 router, things were working fine and my wireless was stable, it just was weak at a few spots in the house so I got the 2nd to switch to a mesh and hopefully have full coverage.

update: after updating the firmware I do a factory reset for both the main router and the node, then i get the main router configured so I can login to it, then add the mesh and finish the configuration. I have mostly default settings and only add a few things like some port forwarding stuff.

One RT-AX92U is spec'd for a "very large home".

One level at 1900 sq ft could indicate a very large home. Two levels at 1900 sq ft total is not a very large home.

Regardless of that, two nodes 15' apart is way too close... like two 1000 watt light bulbs on the same desk. You need to spread them 40-50' apart. Then see how your clients behave.

If your house is more than one level, put a node on another level, spread apart 40-50'.

Given options, locate them so that their wireless backhaul path is least obstructed by heavy material like a stone fireplace, etc.

Later, consider disabling Wireless\Professional\Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for each band.

Make one change at a time and see how your clients behave.

OE

Try turning off SmartConnect which will split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to dedicated SSIDs. I've had similar issues with Wi-Fi dying inexplicably with my 2 AX92U routers across many firmware versions, and this seems to have fixed the issue (fingers crossed).

My house is 2 stories with a finished basement. Part of the issue with router placement is coverage of the weak spots. my main router is on the east side of the house as that's where the cable is run. The node is 1 room over with a small wall separating them. The weak spots using just 1 router are where our TV is in the basement and my son's room on the 2nd floor. That's why i placed the router where it is as that's exactly above/below those 2 weak signal locations.

I can try messing with SmartConnect, just sucks having to setup all the devices again on the split SSIDs. That would take the most work as we have a few google homes, shield tvs, nests, etc that would all need to be moved to new SSIDs so I prefer to try other troubleshooting methods. The odd part again is just how it works fine then just starts to fail.

As for settings, all of those advanced professional settings are defaults so airtime fairness is already disabled, universal beamforming is enabled

Try turning off SmartConnect which will split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to dedicated SSIDs. I've had similar issues with Wi-Fi dying inexplicably with my 2 AX92U routers across many firmware versions, and this seems to have fixed the issue (fingers crossed).

Creating separate SSID's defeats the object of having the AX92u's. If you want to do that you would be better off with a standard router and range extender setup. Sure, the AX92u can operate in this way but there are cheaper range extenders that will give you faster 5Ghz and 2.4ghz speeds than the AX92u.

DHCP lease failures are due to the WAN connection not being setup correctly. That's why his clients get booted off and are unable to rejoin the network.

My house is 2 stories with a finished basement. Part of the issue with router placement is coverage of the weak spots. my main router is on the east side of the house as that's where the cable is run. The node is 1 room over with a small wall separating them. The weak spots using just 1 router are where our TV is in the basement and my son's room on the 2nd floor. That's why i placed the router where it is as that's exactly above/below those 2 weak signal locations.

I can try messing with SmartConnect, just sucks having to setup all the devices again on the split SSIDs. That would take the most work as we have a few google homes, shield tvs, nests, etc that would all need to be moved to new SSIDs so I prefer to try other troubleshooting methods. The odd part again is just how it works fine then just starts to fail.

As for settings, all of those advanced professional settings are defaults so airtime fairness is already disabled, universal beamforming is enabled

I rest my case. Good luck messing with settings.

OE

I'm not sure what could be setup wrong though for my WAN, again I was using 1 router without any issues for over a month uptime. All my issues started after I added the 2nd router as a mesh node. For my DHCP setup I hardcoded an IP to my NAS for port forwarding purposes as 192.168.1.5, my router is set at 192.168.1.1 and my DHCP lease starts at 192.168.1.10 just so I dont ever have any IP issues with my NAS and another device on my network. All my other WAN and Lan settings are pretty much default.

As for the distance, I just measured it and it's 20ft away but I dont have anywhere else that I can move the mesh node easily. To move it say 40-50ft away, it would have to then go through multiple walls and would be moved away from the dead spots im trying to add coverage to with the mesh setup.

I'm not sure what could be setup wrong though for my WAN, again I was using 1 router without any issues for over a month uptime. All my issues started after I added the 2nd router as a mesh node. For my DHCP setup I hardcoded an IP to my NAS for port forwarding purposes as 192.168.1.5, my router is set at 192.168.1.1 and my DHCP lease starts at 192.168.1.10 just so I dont ever have any IP issues with my NAS and another device on my network. All my other WAN and Lan settings are pretty much default.

As for the distance, I just measured it and it's 20ft away but I dont have anywhere else that I can move the mesh node easily. To move it say 40-50ft away, it would have to then go through multiple walls and would be moved away from the dead spots im trying to add coverage to with the mesh setup.

One AX92U is spec'd for a "very large home". A very large home is longer than 20'.

I have a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh. The router at one end of the main level in the brick house covers three 1650 sq ft levels, more or less. The node in the detached brick garage is 77' away. The two routers cover a 2 acre lot. My 5.0 wireless backhaul is around 870 Mbps... good enough for my traffic.

Have you walked around with a WiFi Analyzer or similar app to survey signal levels?

If your nodes are too close, your clients are seeing two great signals and may not be able to connect to either or may not stay connected to one.

If you keep your nodes 20' apart, try raising (less negative) the Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold for the 2.4/5.0 bands... to say -35/-45.

OE

Yea again its mostly due to the layout of the home and where the previous owner had the cables run. For what little it's worth I was able to move it about 2 feet further away but I doubt that will make much of a difference. I haven't done a survey recently and should do so.

I just changed the RSSI threshold as you recommended to -45 for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-1 bands to start and disabled the daily reboots to see if the issue returns. Thanks for the advice I do appreciate it.

Currently i'm on Firmware Version:9.0.0.4.386_41994

Is your main router an AiMesh router broadcasting WiFi? What is the indoor level square foot area you are covering with WiFi?

OE
Yep it is, ground floor: main router ~ 50m2 first floor: AImesh node 1: ~ 50m2 second floor: AImesh node 2 ~ 50m2. Now i bind al iPhones to nod on first floor, then there are no problems (no roaming required anymore). All nodes are connected wirelessly.

Yep it is, ground floor: main router ~ 50m2 first floor: AImesh node 1: ~ 50m2 second floor: AImesh node 2 ~ 50m2. Now i bind al iPhones to nod on first floor, then there are no problems (no roaming required anymore). All nodes are connected wirelessly.

You could turn OFF the first floor node to see i) if you still have enough Wifi coverage, and ii) how the iOS devices behave with no binding and less WiFi.

OE

So as an update, I hit the 2 day mark and turned on my work laptop this morning and the same issue is back. My laptop failed to get an IP from the router. I think at this point I need to try downgrading to a 384 firmware and see if that works any better.

@dpw2atox is there an upgrade for your laptop's Wi-Fi adaptor?

How long was the computer showing for 'Up time' in the Performance tab of Task Manager?

If it is showing anything longer than 2 or 3 minutes after you turned it off, you may want to test if holding down the Shift Key and clicking the Shutdown works better next time (or, simply reboot the laptop).

Downgrading the router firmware is rarely the correct answer. See if the tips above help first. :)

2 days and 4 hours uptime on the router. The laptop is a work laptop so I am unable to upgrade the driver but it was just rebooted today and it still didn't connect. The issue is that this happens to a variety of devices, not just this laptop.

Update: I just finished talking with Asus support, they want to RMA the 2nd router so I will be trying that first.

Last edited: