What's new

RT-AXE7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grimm

Regular Contributor
Hi all, well i decided to buy the RT-AXE7800 as a start of my new project. Following advice here on the AX version of my
RTAC86U (they are being made into nodes) for now anyway.

So anybody here has a RT-AXE7800, id be grateful if you would pass on any information.

Its arriving today, so will be installed as a stand alone replacing an existing RT-AC86U, which has no longer any support from merlin so i read.

my interest more than most is the 6G port and Wifi 6E, ive already found out our Samsung Galaxy S21,S22 will at least connect to its wifi 6, got to start somewhere....

thanks

Update

Darn, Unless i've not done something right the RT-AXE7800 CPU does not do VPN Speed, I finally got it installed and all working great, got a 1.4G connection on my phone, was 1.1 Samsung S21 Ultra, now I looked this up and mine and the S22 Ultra is listed as working on the new 6g band, well the S22 did connect, but cant get back to the setting I used to make it work

But like I said the biggest problems is the VPN, 276Mb without and 65Mb with it going through the VPN

Ill have to try perhaps the other WAN port?

Anybody got the RT-AXE7800? I did most of this post this morning, i guess I didnt hit the post twice or something, as the edit was still here.

Any advice on the VPN problem? sorry typos

which has no longer any support from merlin so i read

Still supported. There is expected new stock Asuswrt release for it as well.

But like I said the biggest problems is the VPN

This router has a weak CPU and 65Mbps sounds right for OpenVPN. WireGuard may give you better speeds if supported by your VPN provider. Your older AC86U router has faster ARMv8 CPU with AES support. It can do about 160Mbps on OpenVPN with 386 base firmware. You've made a mistake.

Last edited:
YEP, all packed up, its going back, what a shame

So any recommendations for a tri band router with a cpu that does the VPN as good or better than the
RT AC86U?

What a wasted day, all new leads all over the place too, right now ill AI Mesh the last 2 86U I have and I know they work well, but do need a re boot after a week or so, perhaps wont have the problem if one is a node

Not sure why you need a tri-band router, but what fits your requirements is:

- GT-AX11000 (Pro) - 1x 2.4GHz + 2x 5GHz (dual-band tri-radio router)
- GT-AXE11000 - 1x 2.4GHz + 1x 5GHz + 1x 6GHz (true tri-band router)

They have ARMv8 + AES CPU cores as in RT-AC86U or slightly faster 2GHz version (Pro).

i want to break free. Who said that, Mercury firmware?

ok, i want what's new, so the GT-AXE11000, I don't recognize the model, ill go read, so does it deal with the VPN problem.

GT-AXE11000, is the same i guess as the Asus AX7800 is it not, it had 2 wan ports 2.5 and 1g i think on 6Gb

3 true bands 2.4, 5, 6 so i wasnt going to loose anything. remember i have lots of things already setup, dont want to re program them all, so the AI Mesh worked out ok, its split the load, i have also prioritized streaming on those two, also there is 3 echo show 10's on those, and im using they're ZigBee bridges, each talk to the next. so far 99% of my old zigbee things work, that wasnt like that a year ago. So can do away with a ZigBee v3 bridge. Also philips hue on there for now, its bridge is overloaded, so second hue going in soon. They have also gone ZigBee mostly bulbs and new accessories, but not old accessories.

When i seen open vpn in that router i just got, i was thinking the cpu must do it, just like the 86U, remember i started with 2 x 87U and later VPN thats when i realized the problem and switched to 87U what a diffrence. I was thinking it would have the power and the new band.

Also my isp doubled my broadband speed, then doubled that as im with the cell phone company they joined with, so growing fast.

lot here, its a big system, ive got rid if hundreds if wifi sockets, all ZigBee now, so 5 years and it all needs upgrading i think.

and i love new toys

thanks, going to look at GT-AXE11000

i want to break free. Who said that, Mercury firmware?

ok, i want what's new, so the GT-AXE11000, I don't recognize the model, ill go read, so does it deal with the VPN problem.

GT-AXE11000, is the same i guess as the Asus AX7800 is it not, it had 2 wan ports 2.5 and 1g i think on 6Gb

3 true bands 2.4, 5, 6 so i wasnt going to loose anything. remember i have lots of things already setup, dont want to re program them all, so the AI Mesh worked out ok, its split the load, i have also prioritized streaming on those two, also there is 3 echo show 10's on those, and im using they're ZigBee bridges, each talk to the next. so far 99% of my old zigbee things work, that wasnt like that a year ago. So can do away with a ZigBee v3 bridge. Also philips hue on there for now, its bridge is overloaded, so second hue going in soon. They have also gone ZigBee mostly bulbs and new accessories, but not old accessories.

When i seen open vpn in that router i just got, i was thinking the cpu must do it, just like the 86U, remember i started with 2 x 87U and later VPN thats when i realized the problem and switched to 87U what a diffrence. I was thinking it would have the power and the new band.

Also my isp doubled my broadband speed, then doubled that as im with the cell phone company they joined with, so growing fast.

lot here, its a big system, ive got rid if hundreds if wifi sockets, all ZigBee now, so 5 years and it all needs upgrading i think.

and i love new toys

thanks, going to look at GT-AXE11000
Investing in Wi-Fi 6E router just because you have an 6E phone compatible is not very wise. I would get something usable today.

Up to 200Mbps on OpenVPN at best. This is what home routers can do due to CPU limitations. For more you need x86 hardware.
don't be silly , its part of the future, it was a bonus getting the phones and a hp laptop on wifi 6 i was getting ready, and router is backward compatible, so whats there to loose.

nice knowing wifi 6 is there, been a while since wifi 5

you always need to move on, im using windows 11, started with ms dos 3x

Speednet 5:21am this morning, back on my RTAC86U

The speed is great considering my ISP gives 200 Mpbs, last night on another NordVpn it was 276 Mpbs

Nothing wrong with my posts

Attachments

• speednet.png
    speednet.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 101
  • speedne1t.png
    speedne1t.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Image1.png
    Image1.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 94
GT-AXE11000

DId I miss it, 2 x 5g, 1 6G, No 2,4G

Virgin Media

Attachments

• virgin media.png
    virgin media.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
don't be silly , its part of the future, it was a bonus getting the phones and a hp laptop on wifi 6 i was getting ready, and router is backward compatible, so whats there to loose.

You lose range on 6GHz and an entire band for few devices working exactly the same way on 5GHz band, if not better. 6E was planned as part of the future, but this future came with 6E forgotten somewhere along the way. With Wi-Fi 7 routers announced already paying more for 6E is investment in nothing.

Yer read about wifi 7, can't wait to buy one, AX86U on its way here, before i try the pro

AI Mesh, right now, working great

What range is lost on the 6GHz band? A few feet (at most)? Sounds like more FUD, to be honest.

When the upper range of 5GHz kisses 6GHz, there isn't any significant (real world) range difference at all.

Ok, Im back :)

Thought I would keep this in the same thread as its a continuation. So I bought the RTAX86U, think I've already said that in other threads.

This router was only going to be for VPN devices, namly 2 HP Laptops and 2 Samsung Phones, all support wifi 6.

Well I've been busy fitting new cables everywhere, mostly Cat 8, but that's irrelevant, I'm thinking of the future. But at this rate I'm not going to have a future, all this work is killing me.

I'm not kidding, been rather unwell for serval days now. Anyway to the problem. I installed the Merlin farmwear straight away, I seen the VPN section is very different, bt I did get NordVpn to work, GREAT!

So there was only 1 local NAS to connect, and all 5 devices working great.

But then I went to print a page of instructions and forget I had not changed my "4" epson printers, well its hard work setting them up with keys etc, I did connect to them and set the new Wifi up, expecting them all to work, no they didnt.

So, first I switched the network name back on, and manually set the printers up, all working at that moment.

But now, EVERYTHING is going through the Nord VPN server, in the rush to get the router and VPN setup in an interface Im not use to.

So Im stuck, I cannot get the printers out of the VPN connection

Image1.png

That's as far as I got before leaving it all to fit the cables, it worked, so I thought I must have got it right, althrough the old router I had to add some code to the settings right at the end, I did add it at first, but only a guess, since then I deleted the connection added it back without that code.

So What am I missing, the printers use 2.4g so have set that up for WPA2-Personal

Image2.png

And I know they will work with the network name hidden, So the only thing I can think of is the printers are also going through the VPN and back to my home :) just to print 4 foot away.

Will Merlin be updating the VPN to match the RT AC86U ? or did I not set something up.

Thanks again for your help

So what the heck did I download?

Where i
The screenshots posted are from stock Asuswrt 388_22068 firmware. This is not Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
s the correct link to the Merlin one then?

BTW, Ive got the printers working, missed a few settings, wifi 6 was still switched on etc, all of a sudden one of my printers just printed 10 shes from the cue :)

So Asuswrt 388_22068 not Asuswrt-Merlin

I just typed Merlin firmware for the RTAX86U seen it there :) and installed, Id better go looking

Thanks !

Just to warn you this version is not the best firmware for this router. Asuswrt 388_22068 also contains quite some bugs. Read the release threads. I would run Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 or Asuswrt 386_49599 until 388 code firmware is more stable. You decide what to do.

Just to warn you this version is not the best firmware for this router. Asuswrt 388_22068 also contains quite some bugs. Read the release threads. I would run Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 or Asuswrt 386_49599 until 388 code firmware is more stable. You decide what to do.

Thanks, well have installed the old familiar now, so I can relax, lots of settings changed, but not many devices to add back anyway. So Ill finished setting things up and switch to the Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 , thanks again, its 1:30am, another long night :)

Makes me wonder what I installed in the

RT-AXE7800 :) which didn't work very well at all, 65Mbs VPN I think​

Image3.png

Not bad for a quick setup without DNS changes etc :) Not a lot of difference over the AC986U right now, and with an old NordVpn server, I need a lot of work doing now

Cheers, next time do warn people before :0

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!