What's new

RT-N16 rescue mode problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gasperataj

New Around Here
Hi!
I recently bought used RT-N16 with intention to replace firmware with OpenWRT to later get it running in my dorm, which has 802.1x eduroam authentification.
I ran to problems when I wanted to flash openWRT or DD WRT image to my router with Firmware Restoration tool or TFTP. The router is indeed in recovery mode, but Firmware restoration tool says that it's not. My power light is flashing, ping to 192.168.1.1 is okay, I can't get to web GUI. Everything seems fine.
Did anyone encounter same or similar issue and has a solution? The status message pops up after around 30 seconds of trying.

Video of lights: https://olmxsccelje-my.sharepoint.c...9DklmKOJIhre0Bmg2vfJrwMlPqjaEsS-pNjQ?e=yE6tgw

upload_2018-12-18_12-36-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_12-36-16.png
    upload_2018-12-18_12-36-16.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 613
When you ping the router what is the TTL value returned? It should be 100 if it's in rescue mode. If it's 64 it isn't.

I had a hard time with mine due to not using the recovery software that came on the router cd. Once I found the cd it still took a couple of tries but it eventually worked. Recovery mode was difficult for me to get into also. Just keep trying it'll work.

Here is a link to the software that came with my router. You should just be able to unzip and run it. You'll have to run "autorun.exe" and just install the recovery software from there as I could find it in the folders.

https://www.4shared.com/archive/jj6lsPKZfi/Asus_RT-N16_Recovery.html