What's new

[RT-N18U] Slow wireless file transfers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dodge

Occasional Visitor
Router : RT-N18U with latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.376.2678
Server : i3 PC connected to router's gigabit LAN port
Client1 : Note3 phone
Client2 : laptop with built-in Intel Wireless-AC 7260 (connects at 300mbps)

Even when the clients are 3ft from the router, the wireless file transfer speeds are poor (~3 mb/s on Note3 and 5mb/s on laptop; megabyte/sec).

Wifi channel is 8 (relatively quiet as my neighbours are using other channels). Have tried changing the wireless settings ("N" mode only, 40mhz only,) but speeds remain poor.

Found a link where Tomato's Shibby tested the same scenarios on stock firmware and he got >10mb/s. :confused:

Appreciate any input to improve this.

Last edited:
Any ideas? Have tried searching around and my settings are quite similar to everyone's...

5 is not bad o 2.4 band. Keep in mind

8 is probably the worst channel to choose as it overlaps with 6 and 11, so you get interference from all the devices on those channels. The 3 non overlapping channels are 1,6 and 11

40 mhz width will use 2 non overlapping channels, so depending on wireless congestion in your area it may just be falling back to 20, or just drops speed on 40.

I get around 12mB/s on a 5GHZ band with no other devices using the channels i am using around me. 5 is good on 2.4 so to get better throughput you need to switch to 5ghz band, but then again it has its own limitations: range is poor and you need to be sure to use the right channel so that the power output is not cut back depending on regulations in your area.

Thanks for the reply - will see if 5 is congested, as 1,6,11 are quite congested already.