What's new

RT-N66 - high latency to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbbraz

New Around Here
I made a post a few weeks back and still have issues..

Running it in both 2.4 and 5 mode, before I was using a dlink adapter (so only 2.4). Got a 5ghz board and performance is still bad, so probably not interference (link score 100 at inssider).

I think this exemplifies the issue:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=432ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=462ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=469ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=453ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=361ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=365ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=398ms TTL=64

This is also not constant - now for example my ping -t is returning 1s with some 40-50 mixed in.

Has anyone seen something like this? Is there anything I can do config/firmware-wise?

I'm currently running the latest merlin. The issue also happened on stock. It started happening after I left it turned off for a couple weeks (never noticed it before then).

Hopefully my router isn't starting to die on me, but this behavior does not look like that..

Willing to try other firmwares/configs or simple tests as needed :)

EDIT: Ah, usually have ~10 devices connected, including a couple new chromecasts. The chromecasts were also added to the network after I turned the router back on, so I guess they could have something to do with it... maybe?

Last edited:
I made a post a few weeks back and still have issues..

Running it in both 2.4 and 5 mode, before I was using a dlink adapter (so only 2.4). Got a 5ghz board and performance is still bad, so probably not interference (link score 100 at inssider).

I think this exemplifies the issue:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=432ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=462ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=469ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=453ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=361ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=365ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=398ms TTL=64

This is also not constant - now for example my ping -t is returning 1s with some 40-50 mixed in.

Has anyone seen something like this? Is there anything I can do config/firmware-wise?

I'm currently running the latest merlin. The issue also happened on stock. It started happening after I left it turned off for a couple weeks (never noticed it before then).

Hopefully my router isn't starting to die on me, but this behavior does not look like that..

Willing to try other firmwares/configs or simple tests as needed :)

EDIT: Ah, usually have 3-4 PCs, a couple chromecasts, 2 cellphones and 2 ipads connected. The chromecasts were also added to the network after I turned the router back on, so I guess they could have something to do with it... maybe?

Does this happen to your other devices? For Android, you can download "ping total" app to test for router's ping.

I would check the physical cables. Make sure the port isn't wiggly. After that, if it still acts up, do a full factory reset and configure everything from scratch.

I haven't checked the other devices for latency (I only notice it in my computer because most websites start taking too long to load/lagging in games), I can try to do that though when I get home today (with the android ping app).
I did test it in my computer with two different adapters, so that rules that part out. I also don't have an issue when using a different router.

I'm not too sure why I should test the cables though - the latency is inside my local network, not outside, so it shouldn't matter.. I think they are pretty new though.

What kind of adapters are you using? I managed to decrease latency with my D-Link DWA-127 usb adapter by switching powersaving off for the adapter. Running Linux, but I guess it is possible in Windows and Mac OS as well. Haven't had this issue with Asus USB-N66 though.

I also see these issues, and have since I've had my n66. Wired connectivity is fine, but wireless latency gets up to 1000ms, making it useless. A workaround is to disable and then reenable your adapter on the client side, this brings ping responses back down to normal (for me 1-2ms). This happens on the client side regardless of the adapter or device when using the 2.4 and 5 bands.

I also see these issues, and have since I've had my n66. Wired connectivity is fine, but wireless latency gets up to 1000ms, making it useless. A workaround is to disable and then reenable your adapter on the client side, this brings ping responses back down to normal (for me 1-2ms). This happens on the client side regardless of the adapter or device when using the 2.4 and 5 bands.

I experience exactly the same issue.

And it's been happening for a long while now...

Just days ago I upgraded to the latest official Asus Firmware, and reset the nvram, and yet the problem persists.

I wonder if it is a hardware defect of the router?

Always, always, after a certain amount of time (less then a day 99% of time in my case), the ping response to the router increases to 950-1000ms.

When I disable the adapter on the client, and re-enable it, the ping response goes back down to 1-2ms.

And rinse and repeat.

It's highly frustrating.

The router is now 2 years old, and I don't think this happened for the first 9 months or so, so that got me thinking that maybe it's a HW problem.

Sucks to say the least. :mad:

It could be because of power management feature. It queues up a bunch of packets and then sends them so it doesn't wake the radio often to safe power. Try to disable it

I sold the Asus RT-N66U, and bought an Apple Airport Extreme.

Works flawlessly. No more continual lags.

Never again ASUS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!