What's new

RT-N66R stopped working, lights flashing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickone

Occasional Visitor
This router is only used to plug a VoIP phone into, which connects wirelessly (set to media bridge) to an RT-AC86U.

When the router was turned on today (it's turned off nightly), the VoIP phone had no signal, and the router gives a series of blinking lights:
All the lights flash on for a second, then turn off with only the power and two lights on the right still on. FYI, the two on the right at USB and 5Ghz, neither of which are used. A few seconds later, it does this routine a second and I think a third time, and then those two right lights flicker, then stay on *while* the power light flashes off and on.

Is this a code that means something other than being bad?

Also, if it's bad, is there any reason I can't use another brand to do the same thing? I have an old Linksys WRT54G. I may even have a Linksys AC1200 router.

Last edited:
I may even have a Linksys AC1200 router.

Linksys E5400 works well as wireless client. It has a Bridge Mode in firmware. I have 2x in use on my home network.

Very small and cheap device, was like $30 from BestBuy. One is serving exactly my VoIP ATA. No issues, set and forget.

The price is still the same, Amazon:

1706564895654.png

Also, if it's bad, is there any reason I can't use another brand to do the same thing? I have an old Linksys WRT54G. I may even have a Linksys AC1200 router.
I use an old WRT54G as a bridge. I flashed DD-WRT firmware on it about 10 years ago.. watched youtube and netflix with a device plugged into it as recently last night. It seems to be *much* faster than connecting wifi directly from each device, especially the game consoles.