What's new

RT-N66R Will not stay on unless power button held

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emNewB

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-N66R (Best Buy's version of the RT-N66U) that I've had since January of 2013. My wife called me yesterday and said that their was no wireless in the house. I checked from work and I couldn't VPN in. I had her power cycle the router but she told it would not stay on unless the power button was held in.

When I got home and checked it out. The power button did not "click" in to the position to power on. I temporary put a piece of tape over the button to hold the button in and everything went back to normal.

The router sits in a bedroom with nothing blocking the air flow around it. I think I may have pushed the button like a half dozen times in it's life, so I doubt I wore it out. I ran Merlin firmware for the past few months but I've never messed with the router's power because it's sufficient as is.

Has anyone heard or experience this? I'm just mesmerized that a router has failed like this.

Last edited:
Some here have reported that. One user uses toothpicks to wedge it in.
Email asus. They shoud rma it.

Hi,
Sounds like power switch is gone bad. It can be replaced but in the mean time try
suggestions already given.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!