What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U does not transmit radio/wireless/wifi on either 2.4 or 5 GHz. Ethernet connections work.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

architect

New Around Here
Hi folks, posting my issue here and hoping for guidance.

I have an RT-AC86U and yesterday morning I woke up without wireless (2.4 nor 5) signals, all ethernet connections work. I normally do a nightly reset (as at times some of my cameras inform me of losing wireless). I checked phone/laptops and it's not transmitting any signal. I also checked the front wireless led lights and they are 'Off' all other are other lights are showing their status as expected. The first thing I did was a Hard factory reset (method 2) and I went through the setup, verified that both radios are set to Wireless>Professional>Enable Radio>ON but the issue was still occurring. I decided to install Merlin to try a different firmware verifying the same setting above but the issue is still persistent. I even when ahead and saved the Off config then ON config for the radios to make sure it's being saved, but no luck. I noticed the Wifi ON/OFF button on the side of the router and that doesn't seem to do anything when I press it.

I keep thinking that's it is something simple, and I find it hard to believe that it is an hardware issue. In summary, I've tried toggling settings in the router's page on two different firmwares, and doing multiple factory hard reset. I don't know what else to try, any recommendations?

Not sure but I seem to remember that the AC86U may have a button on the back that turns off WIFI.

Hi folks, posting my issue here and hoping for guidance.

I have an RT-AC86U and yesterday morning I woke up without wireless (2.4 nor 5) signals, all ethernet connections work. I normally do a nightly reset (as at times some of my cameras inform me of losing wireless). I checked phone/laptops and it's not transmitting any signal. I also checked the front wireless led lights and they are 'Off' all other are other lights are showing their status as expected. The first thing I did was a Hard factory reset (method 2) and I went through the setup, verified that both radios are set to Wireless>Professional>Enable Radio>ON but the issue was still occurring. I decided to install Merlin to try a different firmware verifying the same setting above but the issue is still persistent. I even when ahead and saved the Off config then ON config for the radios to make sure it's being saved, but no luck. I noticed the Wifi ON/OFF button on the side of the router and that doesn't seem to do anything when I press it.

I keep thinking that's it is something simple, and I find it hard to believe that it is an hardware issue. In summary, I've tried toggling settings in the router's page on two different firmwares, and doing multiple factory hard reset. I don't know what else to try, any recommendations?

Unfortunately that is a common death for the AC86U. Given everything you tried, sounds like that's the case here.

As a final verification, you may want to try the following.

I believe the key steps are to verify with a new PS. Repeatedly flash the firmware you want to use/test, while, resetting the router to its defaults, in between.

The first thing I did was a Hard factory reset (method 2) and I went through the setup, verified that both radios are set to Wireless>Professional>Enable Radio>ON but the issue was still occurring.

I would start shopping for a new wireless router.

OE

I've had this issue with other brands of routers. Flashing and re-flashing to factory or 3rd party firmwares did nothing to help. Everything on the webui said that the WiFi was turned on and should be working. LEDs on the top of the unit said 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz were "on". The physical "WiFi" button did nothing. But no devices could see the WiFi. Ended up replacing the router. Even the mfr said, "Sorry, it sound like a hardware issue and the router needs to be replaced." It MIGHT be the power adapter, but in my case, a new power adapter didn't resolve the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!