What's new

RT-N66U 2.4Ghz drops, but clients can't reconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some have found that reset to factory defaults works more consistently through the GUI than commands through telnet.

Don't use 'N Only' - use Auto instead. Also, don't let the router pick the channel; specify it.

So only the Wireless 2.4Ghz devices are disconnecting from the wireless after a while. All other including the Wireless 5Ghz are working fine.
This problem did began when i updated last week to factory firmware update. It has working perfect for 1 year.

Sorry to hear you are having the same issue, I know how frustrating it is. My router had a three year warranty and so managed to get it swapped after I tried everything that Asus support suggested, though were no suggestions given that haven't already been given by helpful people on this thread. The new router worked perfectly for 7 weeks, but has just started the problem again! I'm having exactly the same symptoms as before. I have looked through your wireless clients and don't have a single one in common with you, and also what you mentioned about it starting with the router firmware upgrade is how I started having issues with my first router. Things do seem to point to a firmware issue, but as I mentioned in a previous post I would have thought the issue would have been far more widespread than what I have seen. What firmware are you on by the way?

One more joins the team... My RT-N66U started acting up a few weeks ago but I didn't notice much as I use the 5GHz for all my equipment but my daughters complained that their iPads and iPhones disconnected and was offline several minutes before reconnecting and often they had to toggle Wifi on/off on the phones.

It is the same symptom as described by several people in this thread. The 5GHz and wired connections works fine, no problem at all but 2.4GHz drops of, or rather just disconnects clients and the SSID goes dark for some time. Sometimes just a few seconds and other times a minute or two.
I have tried all the suggestions here in the thread but it is still happening. I thought I had it fixed after putting on Merlins latest build (378.55) but unfortunately I noticed a few drops today again.

I had Asus FW when it started but now tried Merlin as well and see the same problem.

I have a very basic setup in the router, only one other detectable 2.4GHz WiFi (channels far apart) and nothing else has changed "electronically" since this started.

I feel it has progressed and become more and more frequent over these last few weeks... Could it be some hardware issue, something getting worse and worse over time..?

If it's only on the 2.4 GHz band then it could also be a new external source of interference.

If it's only on the 2.4 GHz band then it could also be a new external source of interference.

Yep - that would be the first concern - so try changing the channel...

Alternate approach - if changing channel doesn't work - the RT-N66U has been around for some time, so consider the AC Adapter, might be going soft and causing problems... that's a cheap fix...

That was my first thought too so I have checked using inSSIDer for overlapping WiFi's. There is only one other WiFi that I can "see" and that is on channel 1 so I have tested various channels but still the same.
I have been observant of the usage of other equipment, like microwave, vacuum cleaner, etc. but there is no correlation between the drops and usage of other electrical machinery.
I have not bought anything new or changed the setup in over a year.
I have also tried moving the router to different locations in the house but still the same issue.

The power adapter might be a fluke, but wouldn't the 5 GHz band also be acting up if it was loss of (or too weak) power?

Thanks for helping out! :)

I might be on to something now... I noticed while checking the log that a few clients are constantly changing IP addresses and all of them on the 2.4 GHz band. It seems as if they "steal" the IP from one another like a merry-go-round and each time I notice this the network becomes unstable or drops out.
I have now issued static IP's for the clients (all iPads and iPhones which were the worst) and haven't seen a drop in several hours...

I'll keep watching it...

I might be on to something now... I noticed while checking the log that a few clients are constantly changing IP addresses and all of them on the 2.4 GHz band. It seems as if they "steal" the IP from one another like a merry-go-round and each time I notice this the network becomes unstable or drops out.
I have now issued static IP's for the clients (all iPads and iPhones which were the worst) and haven't seen a drop in several hours...

I'll keep watching it...

Make sure you don't have a second DHCP server running on your LAN. The way dnsmasq works (the DHCP server in Asuswrt), it tends to always give the same IP to a specific device, because it bases the allocated IP on a hash related to its MAC address.

Add me to the growing list of 2.4ghz drops.

Started when I loaded John's firmware about a month or so ago. Prior was running a really old version of Merlin's. Had 0 issues prior. Shouldn't have upgraded!

Going to try official tonight.

Well, no go on the IP's. It might be a bit better (possibly) but it still drops all 2.4 GHz networks (Guest+WiFi) from time to time.

Myn, please let us know if the stock FW works better!

Moving to the latest stock FW seems to have fixed my issues as well. I was running an older stock at first, then upgraded to Merlin and now to latest stock.

Been running for about a week now and works much better!

I just upgraded to Merlin's 378.56_2 firmware. I've had problems with the 2.4 suddenly stopping working once in a blue moon, but since the upgrade it's happened twice in 12 hours. Either the 2.4 channel disappears entirely or it refuses connections.

FWIW, I have different SSIDs for both channels. There is no one on channel 6 on 2.4 except my router. Everybody else seems to be on 1 or 12.

Hi all,

I'm glad I found this post. I've been having this issue for a couple of months now and I feel it's got worse.

I'm trying the latest firmware and will see if that works.

I only noticed it as my Nest products kept dropping offline!

Another update on 9813. Still no issues. Going strong :)

Looks like it may be a keeper.