What's new

RT-N66U 2.4Ghz drops, but clients can't reconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looking in my RT-AC68U the answer is there:
(...)

Max Limit: 64.
I wonder though why your mother need a MAC filter list of 64 or even more addresses, I assume she only has a few devices.
Besides, MAC filtering is not considered a safe way to keep strangers out.

The problem seems to happen just reaching that limit, the exact amount of devices imported from the old router was 64. I erased a couple, so no idea if could have worked just with 63. All of them were correctly listed in the webui though.

Well, it's the old family house and we're a big family, so there's a bunch of people gathering in Christmas and other significant dates, plus friends, etc, 64 if not that big number, nowadays with everybody carrying connected devices. But sure there are in that list still lots of old devices.

I know how easy is to bypass a mac filter, but it's just and extra layer of security and could help filtering some exposure.

(RT-N66U) Interesting thread, I have similar issues but on the 5GHz radio. My 2.4GHz radio is solid, but my 5GHz just stops responding randomly. The SSID is still there, but just like other posters, no DHCP and no traffic forwarding until the radio is reset or the router rebooted. Unsure if it is Firmware related, heat, age, or failing radio. It is for sure getting worse over the past couple months. It went from once a month to several times a week now.

I guess I have no hope then. My 2.4 drops out several times a day. It is usually for less than a minute. I have followed everything I have found:
1) use 20/40
2) use just 20
3) use auto channel
4) don't use auto channel
5) use stock
6) use Merlin
7) try new power supply
8) try new cat7 cable
9) wireless mode auto
10) wireless mode N only
11) my 2.4 and 5 ssids are different.
12) no where close to the filter limit
13) tried resetting and clearing nvram

I thought that I might need a new router. The RT-N66U was fine until recently, but you guys are having problems on other ASUS routers as well. I enjoyed this one because of the parental controls.

No problems here on both bands on my N66U.
I'm on Merlin's 380.59 using N only and fixed channels. On newer firmware I did have those 5GHz problems so that is a no go for me.
I like to play online games so stability is a must!

I have an RT-AC88U router. Great router - when it works. I ran the latest firmware upgrade a few days after its release. The update went without a hitch. After the update I restarted and noticed that the 2.4GHz radio kept disconnecting devices and then they slowly reconnected. Had that happen before and I was annoyed because I ended up completely wiping the router's memory, then reinstalling the firmware with their recovery tool, then resetting the router again, then restoring the router by hand (not from backup). It was awful but solved the problem. After trying to clear the settings and then restoring them from a recent backup didn't work I ended up doing just that. So, If you have an Asus router, I would highly recommend keeping a set of settings screenshots on hand because you will need them after you update your router's firmware. It's such a flaw. ASUS should be ashamed having such terrible procedure to follow just to patch and update the firmware. Can you imagine to re-set up your computer or server after doing a software update? I can't. Shame on you ASUS!