What's new

[RT-N66U] DNS-O-Matic and real / global ip script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ayounggun

New Around Here
Hi All!

REQUEST
Can you help me change the DNS O Matic custom script below so it fetches a global ip address?

SETUP
asus router > usb android phone > internet

BACKGROUND
I read the help doc but don't know how to apply it because I can't find IP=${1} in the script. I can see a similar "myip=" however,

"Find the line in your update script where the IP is used

IP=${1}

and change it to get the IP from an external source

IP=$(wget -O - -q http://myip.dnsomatic.com/)"

CUSTOM SCRIPT

#!/bin/sh
# Update the following variables:
USERNAME=dnsomatic_username
PASSWORD=dnsomatic_password
HOSTNAME=all.dnsomatic.com

# Should be no need to modify anything beyond this point
/usr/sbin/curl -k --silent -u "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" "https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=$HOSTNAME&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG&myip=" > /dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
else
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0
fi

Hi L&LD

I've done a full reset where it wipes all settings and starts up with ISP wizard.

I'll try again though. Its a very simple network: only 3 clients (two cameras and an nvr).

I'll check out the manual and minimal installation approach if you think that might help. Thank you.

My hope is to configure the router as a VPN server and connect to is using a DNS address, but I get a warning about the private ip set via DDNS (currently 192.168.42.xxx).

On the router, all I set is
a DHCP reservation
usb android and the primary and sole wan
enable ssh
enable scripts
set SSID name and password

TBH I don't think this is ever going to work. If your router was getting a public IP address then you wouldn't need to do anything. You have just confirmed that it isn't (which is to be expected because you're using a phone for your WAN), so at the very least you would have to configure a DMZ or port forwarding on the phone.

ColinTaylor has already answered. He is correct that it is not on the router side, either get a public wan address on your phone or forward a port to the router from it so the router can see a public IP address.

Ok thanks

I'm used to putting ISP routers in bridge mode when using them in front of pfsense boxes, so I wonder if there are any android tethering apps that give you more control.

I think I might be trying to square the circle though.

I'll see if there are any good mobile network modems that you can put in bridge mode. Do you know of any good ones in particular?