What's new

RT N66U firm. 3.0.0.3_151

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone tested to see if QoS in .151 cripples wireless upstream speeds? I know they're reduced due to the lack of hardware acceleration but does the bug still persist where wireless upstream bandwidth is throttled to the set value?

For those running the firmware.

Could you report which driver they are running ?

(telnet to the device, run the command:
dmesg | grep Broadcom
should output something like:
eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.138.20
eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
)

And finally, does the multiple SSID (guest SSID or whatever Asus calls it) work. Can you create a guest network and connect to it with say an iPhone or iPad..

Thanks

Here you go:

eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.138.20
eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20

and yes, I just made a guest network and connected to it with my iPad.

Last edited:
Why exactly you disable H/W accer if you enable PF?

You should ask Asus that..
It's in their code...
if(nvram_get_int("qos_enable") || nvram_get_int("vts_enable_x") || nvram_get_int("url_enable_x") || nvram_get_int("ctf_disable_force")

vts_enable_x is the variable set if you enable port forwarding or virtual server
url_enable_x is set when you enable parental control

If it is true, I think Asus should have a bandwidth limiter like Tomato firmware or at least MAC priority in Qos like Netgear 6300 in the firmware. I have many devices in my house and I can't steam a smooth HD video since others consume so much bandwidth for downloading and uploading files. :mad:

But they do...
If you enable QoS and set manual mode, you can apply QoS rules for either an IP address or a mac address.

In any case, I think you have too high expectation on what QoS will let you achieve.
QoS will have no effect on any local traffic. So if you're having difficulty streaming HD video locally, QoS won't help you.

At best QoS running on your router will help you prioritise what is being *uploaded*.

P/s: I also used Tomato firmware ( Build 095 ) before I really liked it, but the Virtual Wireless kept rebooting the router after 2 days of using. Thus, I have to go back to Asus's firmware in order to have a proper guest network...

Yes... virtual wireless is broken in Tomato... it was an experimental feature and is completely broken with the newer broadcom drivers. And even with older driver it's only half-working at best

This page is not hidden on this router. Just go to "Wireless", and then to the "Professional" tab. ...

/Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp is hidden.

The Professional tab is :

/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp

The first page used to control the fan (not used in production models) and still reports the router temperature.

There's a typo in Asus's code, they have the limit set to 101 instead of 501.

If you go through the Professional tab however it should be fine.....

I only use the Professional tab to change the power and I knock three times :) . It's good to know that the hidden page just has a bug.

But they do...
If you enable QoS and set manual mode, you can apply QoS rules for either an IP address or a mac address.

In any case, I think you have too high expectation on what QoS will let you achieve.
QoS will have no effect on any local traffic. So if you're having difficulty streaming HD video locally, QoS won't help you.

At best QoS running on your router will help you prioritise what is being *uploaded*.

Yes... virtual wireless is broken in Tomato... it was an experimental feature and is completely broken with the newer broadcom drivers. And even with older driver it's only half-working at best

Thanks for the info. But can you tell me how to apply QoS rules for specific IP address or a mac address, I can't find such option in Qos page ???

You should ask Asus that..
It's in their code...

vts_enable_x is the variable set if you enable port forwarding or virtual server
url_enable_x is set when you enable parental control

ok I see. Thanks, still something is off here...

Performances is good, but I still cannot use DDNS, modify the admin account for USB sharing, and the useless kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0 messages are still there with VPN. I also noticed that I cannot change the IP address of the router/LAN e.g., 10.0.0.1.

usb ftp vs smb vs dnla

I'm a bit of a noob. Just getting that out there. I experience xfer rates around 11-12MB/sec with a USB drive connected to the router via FTP protocol via laptop. Via smb (because it takes forever for dnla service to scan I don't like using) I achieve about 5.5MB/sec Max streaming to my wdtv device (300mbit 5ghz) viewed in bandwidth monitor. Is that just the nature of the beast? Would I be better off waiting to stream from the dnla sever and get better performance? Am I unrealistic streaming things that need a bit more than 5MB?

Thanks for all the useful info you guys and gals provide.

Welp' I'll answer my own question. Waiting for the media sever to load and then stream solved any performance issues. Saw some peaks hit 8MB, no wonder it would stutter. Wonder why there is such a performance difference between protocols. Dnla streaming > smb streaming.

Performances is good, but I still cannot use DDNS, modify the admin account for USB sharing, and the useless kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0 messages are still there with VPN. I also noticed that I cannot change the IP address of the router/LAN e.g., 10.0.0.1.

I just got a N66U yesterday to replace a D-Link 855, and I upgraded to 151 easily but am experiencing the same problem where it won't let me change the LAN IP from the default 192.168.1.1. I get a pop-up dialog box with an error. Can anyone else confirm this as a problem specific to 151?

I just got a N66U yesterday to replace a D-Link 855, and I upgraded to 151 easily but am experiencing the same problem where it won't let me change the LAN IP from the default 192.168.1.1. I get a pop-up dialog box with an error. Can anyone else confirm this as a problem specific to 151?

What does the error message says?

Welp' I'll answer my own question. Waiting for the media sever to load and then stream solved any performance issues. Saw some peaks hit 8MB, no wonder it would stutter. Wonder why there is such a performance difference between protocols. Dnla streaming > smb streaming.

SMB has a lot of overhead, and uses very small blocks (as the protocol was designed back in the old Windows 3.1 days). It was never designed for transferring large files, even less in a streaming capacity.

DLNA on the other end is designed for streaming, with much less overhead.