What's new

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hover the mouse pointer over the field name.

Their descriptions aren't very descriptive actually lol. Fortunately I already knew what the ACK suppression one was basically about, but there's actually a typo in the one I had to look up (regarding AMPDU) that could throw folks for a loop.

Their descriptions aren't very descriptive actually lol. Fortunately I already knew what the ACK suppression one was basically about, but there's actually a typo in the one I had to look up (regarding AMPDU) that could throw folks for a loop.

I've read descriptions, there are actually descriptions for AMPDU and AMSDU but still I'm not closer to understanding it fully. Vaguely, AMPDU I think has to do how big a frame is sent. At any rate I enabled it to test.:cool:

Those settings are related to fairly low-level things in wireless technology, so giving a detailed explanation would fill up a whole webpage ;) This is kinda similar to many BIOS settings configurable in modern motherboards.

(and no, I don't understand them really either, even after doing some basic research about them).

These are the kind of settings where people can experiment with them, as probably the improvement will be dependent on your specific environment.

I flashed this yesterday but forgot to do a reset. I've noticed that I have to reset after every flash or things get wonky.

First thing I noticed was that signal strength went down.

Second thing I noticed was lower speed test scores on the 2.4ghz.

2.4:

5:

This is really not acceptable.

I'm going to run it for a few days to see if I can really tell the difference before I flash back to a previous version.

The UI for the parental controls is different too but I don't actually hold out any hope that PC actually works.

I flashed this yesterday but forgot to do a reset. I've noticed that I have to reset after every flash or things get wonky.

2.4:

5:

This is really not acceptable.

I'm going to run it for a few days to see if I can really tell the difference before I flash back to a previous version.

The UI for the parental controls is different too but I don't actually hold out any hope that PC actually works.

Stupid question, the reset they recommend post f/w upgrade is the kind that blows out all your settings, right? And I'm assuming it's not possible to backup, then restore them?

Also, I wonder if the relatively fast ping, but slow txfr speeds help point to the source of the problem? At least it might help narrow it down? Whenever I've gotten speeds like that, it's because my signal is incredibly weak and thus my ping will typically be 100+ m/s.

Last edited:

2.4:

What is your 2.4GHz settings? I get the full speed(60/40 Mbps) from the 2.4 band using a fix channel @20MHz bandwidth from this firmware.

What is your 2.4GHz settings? I get the full speed(60/40 Mbps) from the 2.4 band using a fix channel @20MHz bandwidth from this firmware.

Ok, I switched it to the 20MHz only setting. On tablet but it still got much faster speed than I had been getting.

I will test laptop when I stop being too lazy to walk downstairs ;-)

This looks promising.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Stupid question, the reset they recommend post f/w upgrade is the kind that blows out all your settings, right? And I'm assuming it's not possible to backup, then restore them?

Also, I wonder if the relatively fast ping, but slow txfr speeds help point to the source of the problem? At least it might help narrow it down? Whenever I've gotten speeds like that, it's because my signal is incredibly weak and thus my ping will typically be 100+ m/s.

It doesn't pay to try to backup your settings. I have found a complete reset is the only way to get peak performance after a firmware upgrade.

It looks like switching the 2.4 to the 20MHz only setting is helping. More testing is needed but it looks promising.

Ok, I switched it to the 20MHz only setting. On tablet but it still got much faster speed than I had been getting.

I will test laptop when I stop being too lazy to walk downstairs ;-)

This looks promising.

Look for the cleanest channel to improve more.

I have noticed no slowdown on 2.4 G with this firmware Channel 1 @20Mhz only no issues

Attachments

• Speed-Test.jpg
    Speed-Test.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 549
Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't pay to try to backup your settings. I have found a complete reset is the only way to get peak performance after a firmware upgrade.

This is even more true in this case as the wireless driver is doing a major version jump (from 5.xx to 6.xx). Even the nvram settings used to configure it are different, which means if you flash without resetting, half of your wireless settings will be back to default rather than you manually configured values.

This is why Asus also mentionned in the changelog that this version requires a factory default reset. This is a major change.

Loving this firmware. Finally my Edimax 5 GHz adapter connects and stays connected with fantastic speed. In fact my speed has increased on wired and wireless 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Great update by Asus. I am very pleased.

Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

Ok new FW is great, had to Factory Reset to get full changes and Wow.
Great Speeds on both 2.4 and 5 finally good job Asus, of course with the help of Merlin great work dude.

Butt what is this new time sync message: Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

Any ideas guys.

Regards

Ok new FW is great, had to Factory Reset to get full changes and Wow.
Great Speeds on both 2.4 and 5 finally good job Asus, of course with the help of Merlin great work dude.

Butt what is this new time sync message: Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

Any ideas guys.

Regards

Sometimes it takes my routers up to a day to sync w/ NTP for some reason I am not aware of. I always use pool.ntp.org and within 24hrs it is correct.

Sometimes it takes my routers up to a day to sync w/ NTP for some reason I am not aware of. I always use pool.ntp.org and within 24hrs it is correct.

I see you've posted quite a bit in this thread, but I don't see any of your own personal feedback on this firmware. How do you like this firmware?

I see you've posted quite a bit in this thread, but I don't see any of your own personal feedback on this firmware. How do you like this firmware?

I'm behind! I'm still trying to finish logging all my baselines in 3.0.0.4.374.32-MW, so I have good #s to measure against. ;)

Inevitably in shaking down my network for getting measurements in the last 24-48hrs I've found one dead port on my d-link switch, I think I broke two of my airplay speakers, and one of my Linksys bridges got funky on me...Murphy's law.

Any ideas guys.

Regards

Yes, I've seen that message when you change something in the wireless section. Check the log when you see this again, I think it restarts httpd which unsysnc's the time. Either you wait for it to sync on its own or do a manual sync.

It was all Asus's work really. They had a limited release beta version based on that driver, which is what prompted me to also release a build sharing the same driver, to gather more feedback.

With Broadcom Dual band that has been connecting at 300mbs on 5ghz channel and 40 mhz, with this new firmware only way I can connect on 5ghz channel is to turn WPA2, all security, off.

Any security and I can't connect. "See" the channel, can't authenticate.

Works fine for the 2.4 ghz channel.

With Broadcom Dual band that has been connecting at 300mbs on 5ghz channel and 40 mhz, with this new firmware only way I can connect on 5ghz channel is to turn WPA2, all security, off.

Any security and I can't connect. "See" the channel, can't authenticate.

Works fine for the 2.4 ghz channel.

Have you blown out the network in the remembered networks on the device? Sometimes I'll get a weird problem with portable devices not being able to get on (yet being able to see the SSID) during times that coincided with weird, or large changes (like a f/w upgrade). Maybe "forgetting" the network, and then rebooting the AP couldn't hurt either, and then trying to find, authenticate, and remember it again?

What is the situation with alternate devices connecting to 5ghz?