What's new

RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2524

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You shouldn't be using spaces or certain special characters in your ssid's.

You shouldn't be using spaces or certain special characters in your ssid's.
I even see a colon or semicolon in the SSID's of sentinelvdx :mad:
As said so often: only use alphanumeric characters for SSID (and passphrase), these are: Aa to Zz and 0 to 9.
No spaces and odd characters.
A very fancy and complex SSID does not add anything to security of your network, it only confuses certain applications, tools and even drivers.

After updating from 3.0.0.4.376.1071 I experienced a challenge:

I have fixed ip and a domain pointing to my fixed IP. In my internal routing forwarding table I have various units connected at different ports.

With firmware 1071 I could, from my lan, access all local units like this: www.domain.com:5001 (www.domain.com is routed to my fixed IP).
Now I have to use the internal address when I am in my own LAN (192.168.0.3:5001). When I am connected to an external net I can still use www.domain.com:5001.

This means that I need 2 different setups on all my applications depending on if I am in MY net or any other net. In the last firmware (1071) I could use the same "external" (www.domain.com:5001) always (internal and external). With several units on the net this is a challenge. It doesn't matter if I use the webadress or my fixed (external) IP address, -same results.

Sounds like a bug?

Confirm same problem here, wasn't present in previous FWs... Anyone tell me if Merlin firmware has same issue?

Getting a bit tired of Asus - here in the UK they've crippled it by underpowering the wifi - Bought on the strength of reliability and wireless range. Has features I DO like.. Such a shame they killing it..

Merlin fork?
It is the effect of more text in the signature and else then the part that should make sense.
"Fork" or "Branch" or "derived from (-Asus)".
I think darkknight74 tries to say that the latest Asus stock firmware does not perform as good as e.g. .270 with respect to wifi and the Merlin build 43 will perform better.

Virtual Server/Port forwarding bug!!!

Just an FYI--

Yesterday, I installed my brand new RT-AC66U. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version: 3.0.0.4.376.2524.

Everything seemed to work fine except for one problem. One of my machines runs an SSH host. I use the Virtual Server menu to establish port forwarding to that computer. A test via an on-line service confirmed that the server was available on the open port. The problem was that when trying to connect to the SSH server via an SSH client (PuTTY), the connection was aborted. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot this problem because the error usually indicates a local firewall issue. I reconnected my older Asus RT-N13U and it worked fine.

Finally, I installed the prior firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.1123 on the RT-AC66U.

That solved the problem! Now, just to be sure that the problem was not a partially failed install of the latest firmware, I re-installed version 3.0.0.4.376.2524. The problem returned. So, I rolled back the firmware once more to version 3.0.0.4.376.1123 and everything works again.

I want to help save someone else from the aggravation I endured and the time I spent.

I sent off an email to Asus explaining all of this. They responded by apologizing and suggesting that I use the firmware just prior to the latest. That's exactly what I told them I did. Apparently, they didn't read carefully what I sent to them. They also suggested that I could voice my concerns at service.asus.com. I had tried that but attempting to file a case produced a connection failure to their server! I finally got through via phone and the representative confirmed that they are having server issues.

Last edited:
Just an FYI--
Yesterday, I installed my brand new RT-AC66U. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version: 3.0.0.4.376.2524.

Your post is in the wrong thread as this thread is about RT-N66U firmware not RT-AC66U.