What's new

RT N66u - how to close port 25565

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattCole

New Around Here
Hi - new to forum and not much of a techy so pls bear with me...

I recently opened / forwarded the TCP and UDP 25565 port in this router as part of setting up a Minecraft server hosted on my pc for my kids. This was before I realised I cd outsource the open port security risk (which I was never totally happy with) by renting v cheap minecraft server space. I've now done this and happy kids, happy home etc

But I wanted to be sure I had closed my backdoor so to speak.

It is not clear to me how to close / be sure theses ports are closed.

I can see I can simply set 'NO' to the 'Enable Port Forwarding' option under WAN>Virtual Server / Port Forwarding.

But I'd be happier if I could specify that I wanted to reverse the actual forwarding command I gave earlier. I can see the Port Forwarding List at the bottom (which has a 'delete' option next to each line of fields), but there is nothing listed.

So my questions are:

1. is it possible to specify which ports I want to close / turn off port forwarding for

2. is it possible test that all ports are indeed closed / not forwarded (other than buying software to check)

3. if buying checking software is the only way, any recommendations? I am looking at this https://portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi - tho it is$40.00

If the Port Forwarding List doesn't have any entries then is means that nothing is being forwarded.

You can set 'Enable Port Forwarding' to No which would mean that even if there were entries in the list they wouldn't be activated.

You can confirm what ports are currently being forwarded by going to System Log > Port Forwarding.

You can scan your router for open ports for free by going to: https://www.grc.com/shieldsup . Click on Proceed and then enter a custom port range or select All Service ports.

EDIT:
Don't buy the portforward software it's a scam IMHO. There are plenty of free services that can test for open ports, like the GRC site above, or https://canyouseeme.org/ or https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Last edited:
If the Port Forwarding List doesn't have any entries then is means that nothing is being forwarded.

You can set 'Enable Port Forwarding' to No which would mean that even if there were entries in the list they wouldn't be activated.

You can confirm what ports are currently being forwarded by going to System Log > Port Forwarding.

You can scan your router for open ports for free by going to: https://www.grc.com/shieldsup . Click on Proceed and then enter a custom port range or select All Service ports.

EDIT:
Don't buy the portforward software it's a scam IMHO. There are plenty of free services that can test for open ports, like the GRC site above, or https://canyouseeme.org/ or https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Thanks so much Colin, very helpful and thorough! I ran the GRC tests and it's clean as a whistle, so very reassuring.

Just 2 quick follow-ups ...hope that's OK??

1. re portforward software -their sales bumf says the following (pasted in below after question 2) below about 'most online checks'; is it fair comment? cd it apply to GRC orcanyouseem or yougetsignal?

2. not strictly your area (or maybe it is) - but I am a little mystified as to how I was able to connect to the Minecraft server I had on my desktop pc through a laptop if the ports weren't open. Both machines were in the same room, but I had assumed that it was possible to connect locally but only if both machines were on the same wifi network. The desktop doesnt have wifi. So....does that mean that they were connecting locally after all through the shared router? And is therefore a safe local connection? ?

Why Our Open Port Check Tool Is Better
Most online port checks assume that you already have an application (such as your game or torrent) listening for the port test on your computer, and then assume that the test was OK simply because they were able to connect to your computer.

Also, web only port checkers are not able to test UDP since UDP is a connectionless protocol and there is no way to know if the packet actually made it to your computer without some sort of program on your computer waiting for that packet.

Our port test uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and then positively verifies that your port is forwarded.

With our open port check tool you never get a false positive!

Testing if free and easy to use, even with a range:
Thanks very much.

Do you have a view re portforward's comment about 'most online portcheckers' - as per below?

Why Our Open Port Check Tool Is Better

Most online port checks assume that you already have an application (such as your game or torrent) listening for the port test on your computer, and then assume that the test was OK simply because they were able to connect to your computer.

Also, web only port checkers are not able to test UDP since UDP is a connectionless protocol and there is no way to know if the packet actually made it to your computer without some sort of program on your computer waiting for that packet.

Our port test uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and then positively verifies that your port is forwarded.

With our open port check tool you never get a false positive!

1. There might be some limited amount of use in that free port checker in some circumstances. Provided it's free you could use it in addition to other methods previously described. But I wouldn't rely on its accuracy (or any of the other information on their website which is mostly wrong). But certainly don't pay any money for it.

2. I don't know anything about Minecraft but assuming it can work over a local network then your wired and wireless clients should have no problem as they are part of the same network. Just because one device is wired and the other wireless doesn't mean they are on separate networks.

1. There might be some limited amount of use in that free port checker in some circumstances. Provided it's free you could use it in addition to other methods previously described. But I wouldn't rely on its accuracy (or any of the other information on their website which is mostly wrong). But certainly don't pay any money for it.

2. I don't know anything about Minecraft but assuming it can work over a local network then your wired and wireless clients should have no problem as they are part of the same network. Just because one device is wired and the other wireless doesn't mean they are on separate networks.
Excellent, thanks Colin, much appreciated.

Don't bother learning anything about Minecraft bw!