What's new

RT-N66U intermittent 5Ghz Performance Firmware 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Landi.Erik

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone is seeing connection issues with 5Ghz (40 Mhz bonding ch 157) on their asus RT-N66U router running latest firmware 3.0.0.4.376.1071?

More specifically Im seeing my internet throughput plummet after 20-30 mins on my devices requiring me to toggle their individual WiFi cards or rebooting my router all-together. It's happening only with the 5Ghz band, the 2.4Ghz band is rock solid but im only running 20 Mhz bonding due to congestion by my neighbors. Since it's so repeatable and seems like a connection time-out sort of error, I have messed around with beacon interval, RTS threshold and ACK suppression but none of the settings seem to affect the issue. I was also thinking that this could be a lack signal propagation to the area of my house i'm in (second floor, router resides on the first). The final thought that crossed my mind was that this was a client\device side error (devices on this Network include laptop, iPads, iPhones and a media extender).

I have read that Apple devices seem to behave inconsistently on the Asus routers so thats why I adjusted the beacon intervals.

So if anyone has a similar setup without these issues on the same firmware could you post your advance settings page so I can see if my setup is fundamentally bad?

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone is seeing connection issues with 5Ghz (40 Mhz bonding ch 157) on their asus RT-N66U router running latest firmware 3.0.0.4.376.1071?

More specifically Im seeing my internet throughput plummet after 20-30 mins on my devices requiring me to toggle their individual WiFi cards or rebooting my router all-together. It's happening only with the 5Ghz band, the 2.4Ghz band is rock solid but im only running 20 Mhz bonding due to congestion by my neighbors. Since it's so repeatable and seems like a connection time-out sort of error, I have messed around with beacon interval, RTS threshold and ACK suppression but none of the settings seem to affect the issue. I was also thinking that this could be a lack signal propagation to the area of my house i'm in (second floor, router resides on the first). The final thought that crossed my mind was that this was a client\device side error (devices on this Network include laptop, iPads, iPhones and a media extender).

I have read that Apple devices seem to behave inconsistently on the Asus routers so thats why I adjusted the beacon intervals.

So if anyone has a similar setup without these issues on the same firmware could you post your advance settings page so I can see if my setup is fundamentally bad?

I was running that FW on my RT-N66R up until about a week ago, with NO issues of either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz dropping out or slowing down. This was with laptops, iPhones, iPads, iPods, smart TV, PS3, Nintendo WiiU, streaming movies.
I ran pretty much stock settings, except 20 Mhz on 2.4 Ghz band, and 40 Mhz on 5Ghz band (or 20/40, either was fine). I did not use Auto channel select, but rather, selected the least crowded ones in my neighborhood.

Hi everyone,

I recently had a similar issue with the latest firmware (merlin, using SDK6) where my WGA600N would lose connection on the 5ghz band. I found that moving to an older SDK5 firmware has fixed the issue. Perhaps try an older firmware?